let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
True how the hell have you posted 10,771 times in just a year? lol. That must be some kind of record, lol. Do you do anything else with your life? :rolleyes:

studio1.jpg

studio2.jpg

studio3.jpg

studio4.jpg

nice!

Not only am I jealous, but we have the same desk!!! And your monitors on the shelves instead of stands just like I will have.

Do they work well that way with little refelctions?

cincy_kid said:
nice!

Not only am I jealous, but we have the same desk!!! And your monitors on the shelves instead of stands just like I will have.

Do they work well that way with little refelctions?

thanks! yeah for $150 you can't beat that desk for a DAW. Actually, I am planning to upgrade my monitor system as I find the M1's a little boomy. The curtain on the back wall I just hung up a couple of weeks ago seems to help tremendously along with the Auralex MoPads. I was looking into getting a new desk but I like this one because the height of the shelves puts the monitors DIRECTLY at my ear level............the wedges on the walls and ceiling cut down the HF reflections a bit and keep the neighbors happy. Right now I am doing mostly voiceover work because I am in an apartment... :mad:

another thing I just started doing that is a huge timesaver ... controlling the daw through a VNC server and a wireless network ..........

it's a little cramped but it's nice not having to constantly run back to the computer to access the transport

studio6.jpg

dalley said:
another thing I just started doing that is a huge timesaver ... controlling the daw through a VNC server and a wireless network ..........

it's a little cramped but it's nice not having to constantly run back to the computer to access the transport

Please explain how I could control the software from the live room!!!!!! When I'm recording drums alone it's a bitch having to run between the CR and LR.

SonicClang said:
Please explain how I could control the software from the live room!!!!!! When I'm recording drums alone it's a bitch having to run between the CR and LR.

assuming you have a home network, you can download realVNC here:

http://www.realvnc.com/

the program is free and basically you can set up your DAW as the server and the "controller" computer as a client. It's easy to setup, everything is explained on the site or in the help file..........

or...if you are running XP pro on both systems, you can just use the Windows remote desktop app

Another option would be to customize the key binds in the software and get X feet of USB or PS2 extention cable and just move your keyboard into the live room when you go to record something. That's what I've been doing when I'm not in my crappy spare bedroom heh.

just a note about the dual video thing,,

i bought an nvidia pcx 5300, for £10 on ebay second hand.

supports two monitors and a tv as standard,,,,and the drivers are capable of 4 screen mode using a second card(i have an mx440,i think)

for the price though,,,,its 128mb??

just to let y'all know.

dalley said:

studio6.jpg

Is that small thing stable enough to hold that laptop?

JoeBannon said:
Is that small thing stable enough to hold that laptop?

actually it is...but I only keep it in there when I track my own vocals which it is not that often. Otherwise, I use it as a second monitor for plugin windows in Sonar.

dalley said:
or...if you are running XP pro on both systems, you can just use the Windows remote desktop app

Oh... my... god... I'm such an idiot. I do that stuff at work all the time. Hell, I even have two computers at home that I do that with. I just haven't thought about borrowing my laptop from work to do that because it's not powerful enough to run Sonar, but it doesn't need to be.

One thing I'd love to get going some day is a remote display of what I'm looking at on my computer screen in the live room. I'd make it a nice big plasma screen so if you're recording vocals you can see the timeline for visual cues.

Depending on your videocard you should be able to get a DVI splitter and it shouldn't degrade the quality at all. Other than that, most aftermarket videocards have several choices for outs, most commonly VGA and S-video, you should be able to use these at the same time with no ill results. They also make breakout cables for certain videocards equipped to handle it, which turns a (25 pin connection for example) to an S-video/single RCA Video output. So you should have plenty of options for the bigscreen in the live room.

Something I've wanted to try is using a KVM switch in reverse, hypothetically it sounds reasonable, but I don't know yet. If it did, you could setup a monitor, keyboard and mouse in your iso booth and leave the monitor, keyboard and mouse in your control room and just hit the button to switch it over for whichever place you wanted it. Windows should really look into allowing multiple keyboards and mouses to function with one machine. It would definatly have its uses.

I know exactly how to put the video onto a TV. That's how I record in-game videos of myself playing games (I know, I'm a big dork).

They make what's called a KVM extender. There's a sender and a receiver and you connect them with a CAT5 cable. We use them where I work on every production computer, that way we can have the computer in a clean environment and only have the monitor, keyboard, and mouse in the production area. On some of them you can connect an extra keyboard, mouse, and monitor locally and actually have two sets of keyboards, mice, and keyboards. Only problem is those are like $250. I guess it could be worth it if you were trying to figure out if you'd like to go that route or with a new laptop for the live room, but for me, I'm happy to keep running between rooms for now. :)

Back