At last I started to build my own studio.....

Just sourced the mineral wool for my acoustic panels, It's impossible to get small amounts of rigid fiberglass in Ireland, The best stuff I can get is rockwool RW3, I ordered 20 4 foot by 2 foot slabs, they're 4" thick and the density is 60kg/m3... Now I have to figure out the best way to use them, I'm defo building floor to ceiling bass traps, this will take up 9 or 10, then first reflection points including ceiling cloud.....

Plastering the inside at the moment, hoping to be finished by the end of the week and then I can start painting.... Getting a bit frustrated, my missus has had to work all weekend so I've had to look after my baby daughter so I cant do as much as I'd like.... It's gonna be a long week working as a mechanic then coming home to work the whole evening in the room....
208490_10151362888529541_1152528838_n.jpg297316_10151362890609541_29289835_n.jpg579230_10151362890244541_1080997682_n.jpg

The RW3 will work fine for panels. Use 4" thick for reflection points. 8" panels everywhere else in the room would be great (rear wall, staddling corners, etc). For reference, our Monster Trap is 7.5" thick so, close to the same size.

The RW3 will work fine for panels. Use 4" thick for reflection points. 8" panels everywhere else in the room would be great (rear wall, staddling corners, etc). For reference, our Monster Trap is 7.5" thick so, close to the same size.
Hi Alexander, Thanks so much for your input. I've cancelled the order for the RW3, a friend of mine works fitting air ducting and HVAC systems and he's trying to get me 4" thick rigid fiberglass that's 100kg/m3, I'm going to do some precise measurements tonight and see what thicknesses are viable and obviously I'll go with the best compromise, but hopefully it won't come to that.... I reckon I can get 8" thickness straddling the corners and on the back wall. I'm really hoping to have 4" thick panels at my reflection points but I'm planning to space them from the wall so that there is at least a 2" air gap behind, So that will give me 4" of 100kg/m3 rigid plus 2" air gap... I'll put up exact measurements of the room cos it's not exactly rectangular. The wall behind my mixing position isn't perpendicular to the wall in front of me.....

Hi Alexander, Thanks so much for your input. I've cancelled the order for the RW3, a friend of mine works fitting air ducting and HVAC systems and he's trying to get me 4" thick rigid fiberglass that's 100kg/m3, I'm going to do some precise measurements tonight and see what thicknesses are viable and obviously I'll go with the best compromise, but hopefully it won't come to that.... I reckon I can get 8" thickness straddling the corners and on the back wall. I'm really hoping to have 4" thick panels at my reflection points but I'm planning to space them from the wall so that there is at least a 2" air gap behind, So that will give me 4" of 100kg/m3 rigid plus 2" air gap... I'll put up exact measurements of the room cos it's not exactly rectangular. The wall behind my mixing position isn't perpendicular to the wall in front of me.....

100kg is much too dense really. 4" is fine at 100kg/m3, 8" wouldn't be much better at all. Can you get anything around 48kg/m3? These would be better for 8" and fine for 4".

Yeah I should be able to get 48kg/m3, that would actually save me a lot of money, Or maybe I should go back to the 60kg/m3 mineral wool slabs?

Yeah I should be able to get 48kg/m3, that would actually save me a lot of money, Or maybe I should go back to the 60kg/m3 mineral wool slabs?

60kg mineral wool would give close results to the 48kg fiberglass. Either would be fine. Go with the cheaper option assuming the same thickness.

Thanks for helping me out there Alexander, I had received some conflicting advice, but having checked Bob Golds abosorbtion co-efficient chart it has proved you correct, My original plan of 60kg/m3 rockwool slabs is the best option and its the cheapest.... Love when that happens....

Here's the floor plan of the room with measurements, is there anything that jumps out that will cause acoustical problems?
Studio floor plan.png

I mean the diagonal wall behind you is slightly problematic, though it might be enough of a diagonal to help spread modal distribution out so it might actually be a good thing. Another bonus: no flutter echo between front and back wall. It might affect your stereo image slightly, but that could be fixed easily with some panels - plus its a bit behind you too.

The rest of the treatment plan would likely still be standard. Bass traps in corners, panels at first reflection points. Don't forget about the ceiling, especially if you've got a hard floor.

I mean the diagonal wall behind you is slightly problematic, though it might be enough of a diagonal to help spread modal distribution out so it might actually be a good thing. Another bonus: no flutter echo between front and back wall. It might affect your stereo image slightly, but that could be fixed easily with some panels - plus its a bit behind you too.

The rest of the treatment plan would likely still be standard. Bass traps in corners, panels at first reflection points. Don't forget about the ceiling, especially if you've got a hard floor.
Thanks man, hopefully the back wall is enough of a diagonal, Just 2 or 3 weeks away from treating the room so I'm trying to get the best possible advice.

This is fantastic work!.
I really look forward to seeing the finished project !!.

Cheers Man...
Just a quick update as to where I'm at.... Things have been moving slower than I expected, I'm doing everything myself now, and the plastering has slowed me down, also the fact that I have a full time job and a 1 yr old daughter doesn't help but I struggle on... Hoping to start painting this weekend.
I'll have pics up when the plastering is completely finished.

Ok, so I got a bit ahead of the game today. Decided to put one coat of white paint on, just to check how the plastering was and I'm glad I did, Turns out the plastering is a hell of a lot better than I thought. I only have to fix up the plaster in a few spots then its full steam ahead on the painting... Things should really start to come together a lot quicker now....
575939_10151381379104541_1184231904_n.jpg549821_10151381380074541_1824091371_n.jpg

Cheers Bud your posts have encouraged me to keep saving money in hopes of building something similar come Autumn :)

Wow that is so nice! Awesome, at first it looked a bit small, but since you're not recording drums it looks rather large. Nice work, curious to see it finished.

If in only...
ah, never mind. Good luck! ;)

Cheers Bud your posts have encouraged me to keep saving money in hopes of building something similar come Autumn :)
Cheers mate, I've been there, looking at other peoples studio builds and hoping one day I'd do the same myelf, and here I am, almost finished mine.... Hang on in there...

Wow that is so nice! Awesome, at first it looked a bit small, but since you're not recording drums it looks rather large. Nice work, curious to see it finished.

If in only...
ah, never mind. Good luck! ;)
Cheers, Your right it's not that big, but it's the biggest I could go plus I've been using a room 3 times smaller than this for the last yrs so this is huge in comparison.... I should have plenty of room to have one have as my mixing section and the other have as a live section... I'm going for a live end dead end room.... Should start to really take shape this week and hopefully the pictures will show a bit more detail...

Well again, nice job. I've got no right of talking. I've used my bedroom for the last 10 years with neighbours that want me to be quiet from 8 in the evening. :D

Good luck, I'm looking forward to new pictures!

Back