Killing the outside sound and keeping only the phone sound

Magpie

Hi,

Im the newest member here. It really looks amazing. I can ask all sort of stupid questions and somebody will try to answer them. Thats nice! :)

Our probem is.
We will try to record something in few days. In two days. We already recorded some stuff and we got modest quality sound. We could get better sound with the equipment we have if we could only isolate the sound outside the phones. Our system is this. We have everything connected to BOSS mixet 16 chanals. Simple mix. So everything is going to that mixet. Line out on mix is going to casset player that records the sound. There is also a phones line out that we connect the phones too. This is the buggy part. The guy on the mix that is listening to the outgoing sound through phones cant hear it well since its in the same room and he also hears the direct sounds from playing. So is there some way we can isolate that phones or something. Something... I tried with some practical solutions like stashing hats, pillows and some things like that on the head. It got some results but not too well as I you mightev guessed.

Buiding another room is totaly out of the question. Is there some primitive way to get it done?

Any suggestion is more than appreciated! ANY

Thank you

1- buy some decent closed ear headphones that will keep out more of the sound. Be careful of the high volumes you'll use on the headphones in this situation

2. record the tune. then while playing it back listen and make board adjustments as needed. then rerecord the song with the new levels

3. if the mixing guy is not playing too, put an 20' extention on his phones so he can occasionally leave the room or move to a quiter spot to listen..?

4- build a temporary sound deadening booth around the mix area

5. lastly, give up and put up two omni directional mics in the room and let the band mix themselves as they play!

Back