just moved address, need help with boomy room

1" and 2" panels with not-great low frequency numbers.

Opps I think that was the wrong site, I was doing other things at the time.

Yes, it's true US seems to not have it as readily available. Oh well Australia leads the way again LOL. The real acoustic stuff like what I got hold of has the same or better numbers than fibreglass. I did find some European web sites.

By the way it does not have to be polyester there are wool and recycled products that have similar properties.

As I said before you need to talk to wholesalers and installers, hardware chains may not be of help. I would be sure that fibreglass would no longer be allowed in hospitals in the US.

Alan.

My answer #7 still applies, if you do this with wool insulation or polyester insulation rolls it will still act as a bass trap.

Alan.

I've ordered 4 rockwool soundpanels 1240x640x50mm and 2 bass traps 1240x640x100mm.
Any advice on placement? The room is a bit weird. 1st reflection point left side has a closet closish and the right side goes into a window frame.
See pics, Thanks.
Front.jpgLeft.jpgRight.jpg

It's a start. I'd just put those (2'x4'x4") bass traps one in each corner to either side of you, maybe trying other corners to see how it sounds. Might as well put one of the 2" (50mm) thick ones on the door, and consider just getting a heavier drape if that one is thin for the window, if that's really your reflection point. The other 2" panel could go overhead, the back wall, or behind the desk. Depends on what is acting up and impacting your recording or mixing the most. Experiment if you can.

Thanks Keith,

I could also use the windows as the front wall, any problems with doing that?
That would mean the 1st reflection points would be pretty straight but the back wall would then be half sticking out closet and half flat wall.

If you can be centered between the side walls and treat those reflection points that's probably good. The only thing to consider is what's happening behind the monitors, e.g., if one has a curtain and the other doesn't. So, it might be a place for one of the panels (front wall).

Open the closet door, maybe get a freestanding kind of room divider or, what I used to start with, a couple boom stands ("stupid deal" 2 for $20 shipped from MF - just don't take them on the road and expect them to last more than a gig or 2!) with heavy blankets/moving pads draped over them. The overhead reflections probably caused (and still do, as I can only "cloud" a very small area because of door openings and attic access) more problems than I realized in my small room. A couple clouds and throw rugs and sitting/standing in the right place w/proper mic placement is a learning experience for all of us resource constrained home recorders!

Alan, is this the polyester material you were talking about?
At 50mm will they be as effective as 100mm rockwool?
Thanks

GB Acoustics - 4 Polyester Corner Standard Bass Trap Panels | eBay

I can't answer that without the spec sheets for both products. I would assume that the same thickness would be at least the same specs. It could well be that the polyester is better, if it's te high density stuff like I used. The 50mm in that was very good, but saying that the bass traps in the control room was 100mm polyester (2 x 50mm layers) across the front corners and behind I filled the corner with lighter density polyester filler (fluffy stuff) that I had left over from the build. These bass traps work fantastic.

However if you look at the picture I also covered the wall around the window to help with reflection due to the glass, but this has nothing to do with bass.

Alan

control room.jpeg

Back