Iso-cab within an iso-cab?

notCardio

I walk the line
OK, so I've got a couple of Randall Iso-Cabs, each with a 12, but different speakers.

I would like to build essentially an iso-cab, or even a booth, to put each one of them in. Double isolation, if you will.

I'd rather they be cabs to take up the least amount of room possible, and I could have one for each of them and just leave them in there.

Are there any specific dimensions or ratios that I need to use? Are the two going to need to be different based on the resonant freq of the different speakers?

I might use one for bass, as it's a JBL E120. The other is a stock Vintage 30.

I really should just give up and do everything in the box anyway, but I thought I'd ask before selling them off, because somehow I know I'll regret it. I always do.

Why? Are they still too loud in the room? As Iso-cabs are made to have the microphone IN them, you need not worry about dimensions or anything for an exterior box or room.

I really should just give up and do everything in the box anyway...

What/why are you giving up exactly...?

Is this purely a noise/loudness thing?
I would think one iso-box would effectively cure that, from the ones I've heard...so why a double box? I mean, with a good iso-box, you should be able to crank it up even with a baby sleeping in the room next to you.

Yeah, it's just to tame the volume. I don't know what babies you've been around, but nobody's sleeping through what mine put out, and the biggest amp I've got is a Blues Jr. I guess I should use a power soak of some kind first, but that almost defeats the purpose, with no speaker break up.

But since there's an opening on the bottom of the cabs for air to move, and I'm assuming the cabs were tuned a certain way, I didn't know if closing off or changing the air movement to a different spot (in the external cab I build) would change the air pressure/response within the original cab.

And yeah, I would still use the internal mic setup in the original cab, in which the sound isn't all that great in to begin with.

As usual, I'm over thinking this. I'd be better off selling them and getting a cheap cab simulator. Or just simplify my life and do everythng digitally. Save a lot of space, too.

About 10 years ago I did a box within a box design. The idea was to be able to put a combo amp in it. It does cut down on the sound. I have it decoupled and placed in a kitchen cupboard and I still use it. With the cupboard door closed, you probably could have a baby sleep in the kitchen although I don't think I'd want a baby sleeping in there !
It's a hefty beast.

Back