Iso booth in basement: Better to use the concrete walls or bulid new walls?

RockNSoul

Ok I'm building an ISO booth and have read way too much on these forums without finding the answer to my question so.....

I have a room in the basement that has 2 concrete walls and a concrete floor.

Can I some how use these walls and floor for an ISO booth and just attach the ceiling and other 2 walls to them with the green glue or some rubber? Or is it best to just build a room within a room type of deal?

Also I'm doing my best to copy this:
http://www.whisperroom.com/td4230e.pdf

Is it more sound resistant to use the Medium Density Fiberboard method or to build whole walls with studs and sheetrock?

And is it just as good to use green glue in place of their rubber isolator pads? If not does anyone know where to buy something similar to their rubber iso pads?

Thanks a ton,
-Chase

I have a room in the basement that has 2 concrete walls and a concrete floor.

Can I some how use these walls and floor for an ISO booth and just attach the ceiling and other 2 walls to them with the green glue or some rubber?
It all depends on some info that you haven't provided yet.

1. You have a basement "room". And you want to partition of a space that will become an isolated "booth". What are you trying to "isolate" this space FROM?

The outside world environmental noise such as trucks, trains, traffic rumble, aircraft, and other types of noise? And vice versa..are you trying to isolate the booth to keep sound from transmitting to your neighbors?

Are you trying to "contain" the sound from transmitting to the upstairs living quarters? And vice versa..ie..keep sound source upstairs from transmitting into the "booth"?

Is this "booth" the only space in the basement that you are using for recording, or is the rest of this space a control room...or live room..or what?

What I'm getting at here is...you need to tell us EXACTLY what you are trying to accomplish, and what the adjacent space in the basement will be used for...ie..family room, laundry room, control room, storage, or what?

Next is HVAC. What are you planning on for ventilation in this "booth"? Are you going to tie into existing HVAC ducts that supply the basement or the upstairs?

What is on the other side of these two concrete walls that you want to use...ie. DIRT...backyard....driveway..neighbors house...or what? I've seen many different types of basement wall scenarios.

How large is this proposed "booth" going to be? What are the dimensions?

How close will this booth be to the stairs leading from the upper floor?

What is the construction of the floor above this space? Has the framing been covered with drywall or other type ceiling such as GRID dropped cieling?

Any pipes, vents, adjacent HVAC units, or other types of sound generating devices in this space? Can you take a picture?

Any wall or floor moisture collecting in the basement...ie...does it LEAK?

What kind of instruments will be used in the booth? ie....drums? amps? vocals only?

What kind of space is above the proposed booth? ie..kitchen? Bedroom? Living room?

What is your budget?

Are you running electrical to this space? How about mic lines? Is there a light already in the space?

If you can provide some answers to these questions, we might be able to offer some viable advice. Otherwise, people are just guessing. When it comes to TRANSMISSION LOSS construction...INFORMATION=SUCCESS.:)
fitZ

Back