Irregular Corners Due to A Frame Ceiling and Treatment

rorohello

Hi All,

I've just completed a reno on a detached garage and I'm looking for advice on sound treatment. I'd like it to be an all-in-one tracking and mixing room.

The room is 19 ft long by 15 ft wide. It has an A frame ceiling, with the center beam 10 ft high, and the ceiling is 7 ft high at the lowest point where side walls meet it.

There is a glass french door and two 2x2 windows on the right wall, and another glass door in the rear right along the wall that was the garage door. The windows are recessed about six inches thanks to the foam/sound board insulating.

I've already scored some stuff off CL:

Two GIK soffit freestanding basstraps -- placed in the rear corners
Two GIK wall mount bass traps -- straddling front corners

I have two more regular GIK panels (the thinner versions not deemed bass traps) that I plan to join for a cloud above the mix position. Also two Auralex Promaxs' (the ones on stands) to move about the room, and some foam from a previous, much smaller room.

My question has to do with a reflection I am noticing in the room. The upper left side of the room as a very pronounced one. If you snap in the air on the side you can hear it reflecting back and forth, and it made drum overheads sound like I was recording into a spring reverb!

It is much less pronounced if you snap/clap down lower. I assume because of the bass traps. And it doesn't happen at all over on the right side of the room. I guess because of the doors??

I know that I still need to treat the front and back walls, but this seems like it is a real problem directly related to the corners on the left side. All of the corners are an irregular shape because of the A frame ceiling. So sticking a LENRD trap isn't really going to fit it.

What is recommended for this?

Some pics:

IMG_20180822_092731.jpgIMG_20180822_092708.jpg

All the corners need treatment, so those 2 front corners need it from floor to ceiling. The 'corners' between the sloped ceiling and the walls could use treatment too, along with some trapping on the ceiling itself and side walls. GIK are great, but expensive, learn to make your own traps using rockwool unless you have an unlimited budget. You can use 2" thick rockwool for ceiling and walls, 4" or thicker for corners. Foam may stop slapback echo, but leave you with uncontrolled low end reflections, resulting in muddy mixes.

Thanks for the response.

Would it be possible to add a photo or two of something close to what you are referring for the top (irregular) corners?

It seems very straightforward to cut Owens Corning into triangles to stack below and above the GIK stuff that's already there.

I have no idea what you are talking about with regards to "trapping" along the top 'corners' and ceiling.

Where the large surfaces join is always a good place to consider trapping, and the way (what you are calling) bass traps are positioned is what you can do at any of the joins between wall and ceiling. You'd probably need a compound mitre saw to actually build something for the corner, so I'd fit a rectangle as close to the corner of both the front and side walls, after extending the corner bass traps from floor to ceiling.

Ah, ok I can visualize that based on some of the images I ran across Googling this stuff. Thank you for chiming in.

So, in that instance, filling the bottom of front corners all the way up to the straddled trap (or panel...whatever you want to call it) but not going all the way up to the top on the top, because I'd need to hang rectangle piece with wire somehow?

Ah, ok I can visualize that based on some of the images I ran across Googling this stuff. Thank you for chiming in.

So, in that instance, filling the bottom of front corners all the way up to the straddled trap (or panel...whatever you want to call it) but not going all the way up to the top on the top, because I'd need to hang rectangle piece with wire somehow?
Well, you'll have to do something to hang the clouds, so whatever you do with those is how I'd mount the top edge of anything that's angled across a wall-ceiling join. (Full disclosure, I never got around to putting those kinds of treatment in my very small room, with floor-celing bass traps in 3 corners and the walls fairly well treated with a couple clouds right over my head. My wife was on the verge of having her head explode, so I called it a day ;))

Yeah there is a heavy wife factor over here as well. This is not just my room since it's only a 900 sq foot house kitty corner ;)

That's why I'm hoping to get some folks to add images.

I pinged a rep at GIK I was corresponding with on email to respond here. I'm not adverse to buying some more and also making what I can where it is more straightforward.

You'd think with the glut of YouTubers and forums like this these days, there would be images for how to treat irregular corners in a room with a sloped ceiling, but I can't for the life of me find anything useful.

If you put eye-hooks into the right places, then you can hang the traps when recording/mixing, and take them down and put them some place unobtrusive when not to combat the wife complaints.. Straddling the joins in any way that works, and hanging a few traps on walls/ceiling should combat your slapback problem.

Back