Interesting Bass Trap design

dunno but shure would be nice to see the finished product lol Here is one I did tonight 4" of a Rockwool type insulation so far so good only took me about a half hour each to build... pic quality is crap used my cell phone for it lol

Attachments

• IMG00210.jpg
    IMG00210.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG00212.jpg
    IMG00212.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG00213.jpg
    IMG00213.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 133
Does anyone have any input on wether or not this design would work? Thanks.

http://www.diy-home-theater-design.com/bass-trap-build.html

I've seen a couple of ideas similar to this, one used the same tube but filled it with sound deadener and wrapped some deadener around the tube as well, by moving it into the corner and experimenting with the distance from the corner until the best results were achieved. It did trap the bass in the corner.

The second was using a bigger tube, cutting it in half (2 x half rounds) then filling the hollow with deadener and wrapping the whole thing in cloth. Then standing in the corner with the hollow side facing the corner. This one did not effect the highs as much.

Both worked, but there are many ways to skin a cat, sorry tiger (my cat). Sometimes the bass trap design depends on the actual frequency of bass you are trying to trap. If it looks good and works for your room you have a winner.

I am not sure about filling with sand? has anyone had this work?

Cheers

Alan.

It's all physics. Just looking at the "design" it's apparent that there's no mechanism by which low end would be attenuated. It's not magic after all.

Frank

How about drilling a bunch of like 3-4 inch holes in tube, swiss chease it up a bit then stuffing the tube with fiberglass. :)

That would give you a Helmholz resonator.

Drill the right sized holes in the right amounts and it's tunable too.

What is this mysterious material you speak of? :D

Sorry for the low tech description, In this case it was high density polyester sound deadener, AcoustiSorb, which is sold by a local company here, the high density stuff works like a treat, it's such high density you cannot cut it with a knife you have to cut it with a diamond blade (I got them to cut it to size for me). The lower density stuff cuts OK. I used it totally in my current studio as there are no fibers and you can leave it exposed if you wish.

You could use fiberglass if you want but you have to make sure it's sealed. I never want to work with fiberglass again.

Cheers

Alan.

Sand? People have actually used it for sound absorption?

I'm not sure whether it's being marketed that way or whether people are mistaking sand's use as a decoupling agent, but yes...I have seen bass traps designs specifying that they be filled with sand.

Frank

Back