I'm about to build again

John Sayers

Solar Power!!
I've just completed the preliminary drawings for a studio for a client and we've now worked out the layout. The bathroom ect is existing and he wanted to the use the area we've used for a studio - the following is the first plan layout.
plan.gif

Comments please guys and gals - I'm thinking of creating a construction in progress site on my site so you can all watch the construction develop - what do you think.

Awesome design!
You obviously know what you're doing ... so I appreciate anything you decide to share with us ...
If I can be so bold ... the only thing I think looks weird is the window from the control to the vocal/coffee booth. Seems like you gotta squeeze in that little space and most of the booth is not viewable from the chair. What do I know, though? I certainly would never have come up with a design this cool and professsional.
I'm looking forward to seeing more.

The whole studio is new. The exiting space is bare except for the entrance and bathroom - the stairs lead up to a flat above the whole area for bands to stay in etc. yeah the vocal booth is really just a coffee room that can double as another isolation booth - guide vocals etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Sayers:
The whole studio is new. The exiting space is bare except for the entrance and bathroom - the stairs lead up to a flat above the whole area for bands to stay in etc. yeah the vocal booth is really just a coffee room that can double as another isolation booth - guide vocals etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John;
You're a sick man! I LOVE IT!!
Hahaha

Tim

John when it comes to this stuff, You rock
:-) Great Design so far...

It looks cool, but I have a couple of questions.
Why the "Dead Space" between the control room and the drum room. If its necessary for acoustic deadening, why is there no such dead space between the control room and the room with the piano?
Also, the room with the Grand Piano is roughly 4.2M by 3.2M or if I translate correctly about 10' by 12'. Isn't that pretty small for an instrument like a Grand Piano? and,,,, whats the ceiling height?
Just asking. :)

The space is to isolate the wall frame of the drum room from the wall frame of the control room. It also angles the sliding doors. It dosn't happen on this plan with the piano room but it will as we've changed on that one. 12 x 10 is OK for a piano room so long as it's treated correctly.
The biggest I know of is a 9Ft concert grand and the owner sure doesn't have one of them!!
The plan is still changing - will post later version soon.

I know a guy who has built a small recording studio inside his new cafe. He had an acoustic engineer design the interior, and to optimize space utilization, they decided to use the women's bathroom as a vocal booth (not bad acoustics, either). Of course, they only record vocals after the cafe is closed.

That looks really cool.

I wish I would have talked to you, John, before I started construction on my studio. You may have been able to aid me in what I came up with, although I do feel that for the space I had to work with I made the right choices.

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in seeing some pictures of my studio in progress. We've taken about 200 pictures so far, and we have about 3 hours of video. We've been working on it for 5 months now, and we're just finishing all the layers of particle wood. So, if anyone wants to see them I'll scan them in and put them on my band's webspace and give out the links.

And John, great design, way to utilize the space.

post them up.

I dont know about everyone else, but im assuming its the same. We all like tosee what others are doing. personally my "studio" changes instantly, depends where my stuff is, what im recording, just have to readjust the rooms to whats going on, so nothing that interesting on my side, so i get interested in looking at real dedicated space.

Re: post them up.

Ok, so I guess once I get them scanned I'll start my own thread and let everyone see what I've got going on.

Back