Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If I were going to build a stand alone Studio/Mancave advice

Thanks

If I were going to build a stand alone Studio/Mancave advice

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm considering building an addition to my shop. I'm planning a 22' x 30'. This would be a multipurpose building meaning I would like to put a pool table in one end and have my desk and music equipment in the other. While I understand that there is no one size fits all anything I'm asking for advice right now on dimensions of the area. I can change it some. More narrow, or longer. Max width is 22' . That's a hard number. Also, what height? I can do any size side walls. I was considering 10' walls with a vaulted ceiling. Does this sound reasonable? What I am trying to achieve is a decent sound for listening to music, playing music, and rarely but occasionally recording some music. I already have some sound treatment made for the walls from a previous room but will need more. I understand the the issue of sound treatment and what it means. But first is first. 22'x30'x10' with vaulted ceiling or is that a mistake on the front end. Any advice on this and the rest of this project (which could take awhile) would be much appreciated.
    On a second note, I live int he country. Sound projected beyond my building is not an issue. Do I still need to be consirned about a floor above my floor, and sealing all the cracks i my walls, etc.My dad build houses for a living, will the specs for a house be acceptable for what I am trying to do as far as exterior walls? My thinking is "yes".

Thanks
    I wouldn't do the vaulted ceiling - its more corners that need acoustic treatment. Instead do a sloped asymmetrical design, if you can.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sasquatch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just to follow up on @sasquatch 's post, you can try some dimensions in this calculator to see what gives you a better chance of reducing problems. Room size/shape is important, and something that's pretty darn hard/expensive to change later.

amroc - THE Room Mode Calculator
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

6. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't understand all I should about the room calculator, but it does look like with a room size of 30x22x14 the x is in the bolt area. Would it be safe to say that with bass traps in the corners and some treatment on the walls that this should be a nice room for sound? Mainly for listening to music or playing music with friends, very little if any recording and no serious or professional recording.

Thanks
    Sasquatch, you take some long bathroom breaks if you read this material while in the jon. I am reading it a little along. Thanks for the help.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JFoshee View Post
    I don't understand all I should about the room calculator, but it does look like with a room size of 30x22x14 the x is in the bolt area. Would it be safe to say that with bass traps in the corners and some treatment on the walls that this should be a nice room for sound? Mainly for listening to music or playing music with friends, very little if any recording and no serious or professional recording.
    That should be fine. What you want to avoid are integer ratios, so 30X15 would not be good. Bass traps fine but I would not overdo treatment for a room that is primarily for socializing? Don't want to "hang" in a dead space! You can always bring in gobos and other treatment stuff if and when you did recording.

I don't know what your total budget is but put a serious chunk aside for speakers. If you are considering studio monitors you will need "midfields" at least and $5000 would not be a siily spend. Could get a lot worse!

Dave.

Thanks
    I wouldn't use midfields for mixing unless the room was well treated/acoustically designed - better to be closer (near fields) and use portable gobos in a multi-use room.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    I wouldn't use midfields for mixing unless the room was well treated/acoustically designed - better to be closer (near fields) and use portable gobos in a multi-use room.
    Agreed Mike but OP said, "will record rarely, if ever". Ergo he won't need a super accurate mix/balancing station. I get the idea that he wants a room to hang in with mates and play some kick'ass toons? In fact a pair of decent active !0"+ tweeter PA speakers would probably be best. Maybe a sub?

The idea of midfields was simply because they could be pressed into monitoring AND fun service. If of course he spends the money! I was thinking of some tasty 3 way Neumanns!

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JFoshee View Post
    Dimensions are fine,some would be jealous.
    Remember it's a Rumpus room not Abbey Road so 90% common building practice then take it up a notch the last 10%.
    OP hasn't even snapped a chalk line yet so a little premature on gear recommendations.

Gary

Thread Information