Ideas for drum kit specific sound proofing for home music room

CiscoKid

As usual, just started researching and found lots of info on best materials for retail and DIY sound proofing.
Also soon determined that what I want is not studio acoustic improvement, but simple soundproofing for my basement music room so my daughter's drum kits are muted as best possible for neighbouring duplex owner.

She uses headphones with her Yamaha digital kit, but also has amped into studio speakers and an acoustic kit to play. Would be nice to play without too much concern.

I have found best probable quick answer is a good couple of floor standing panels right between the kits and the adjacent shared wall for a start. Any ideas on best DIY materials for this?

Other ideas welcome.

The shared wall is what needs isolation. I don’t think a lot is going to travel through the floor but of course getting the kick off of it can’t hurt. But mainly anything that moves the wall is going to be heard so I’d start with a completely detached inner wall there with lots of rock wool. And do not fasten that inner wall to the ceiling if those (ground floor) joists attach to the shared wall. (Lived in a duplex where the neighbor had a karate kick bag hung in his basement and had pictures falling off our upstairs wall!)

You probably don't want to spend 5K-10K for this I'll bet.

I was involved in a duplex project to dampen our band's basement rehearsal space. We had an inner wall built all around with an air space,
inner insulation, outer surface insulation/deadener, and drop ceiling with same outer surface deadener. Front and back weatherstripped
double doors.

Another house, we just hung large oriental rugs from the rafters about 6" from the outside walls, then some on the concrete floor. The neighbors
30 ft away weren't bothered. Had a similar drum setup with 100-watt home stereo cabinet speakers, and also drummer's headphones plugged into
the house sound system for silent, solo practices.

Sounds like [MENTION=196982]keith.rogers[/MENTION] has a good compromise. You should work with your neighbor doing soundchecks whenever possible. Maybe buy or
borrow a decibel meter to check that out.

Last edited:
The whole "basement" thing may affect the simple solution -- Drywall. If it's already there, then it's easy -- Double (or triple) it.

No matter what else you do - insulation, additional detached walls, etc., adding (at least one layer of) drywall to the final barrier (the connecting walls & ceiling) is going to be huge.

Back