Ideas for acoustic treatment?

Rolomoto

Any ideas on how I might treat this room? I want to use it for recording vocals and acoustic guitar as well as mixing personal projects and just a listening room. Multi use in other words.
Thanks
floor plan.pngroom 02.jpgroom 01.jpgroom 03.jpgroom 04.jpg

Carpet the floor. Place sound absorptive material: Everywhere walls meet and all along the creases where walls meet ceiling. R19 enveloped in canvas is a cheap diy way to go. The looser this package hangs from the surface, the more efficient it is. This will tame the high-end splash a room like this is bound to have but won't do much if anything for low freq problems but it's a good start.

R19 insulation ^^^ won't do much of anything for you, unless you stack rolls of it in the corners. Use OC703 or 705 or rockwool for acoustic trapping.
How does that open end of the room sound now? I can't imagine the room's natural reverberation will sound good there for recording acoustic guitar - probably sounds good to the ears when playing, but all those soundwaves bouncing around and picked up by the mic are going to be a mess on a recording. I'd set up a tracking area near where you have your desk now, use gobos (movable traps) to isolate the sound. The ceiling fan's position means you can't put a cloud trap over the mixing desk where you have it now, and trying to get any symmetry in the room for mixing is going to be near impossible. All you can do is keep adding traps until it seems balanced to you.

Back