I was thinking about building one of these in the backyard as a studio

Manor Music

I had some spare time on Google's SKETCH UP architectural software and made some mock ups. It's amazing all the stuff they have on file...like John Bonhams drumkit. The program takes a while to learn but in a few days or weeks you can come up with "killa"free graphics.

This is designed mostly just as a small studio for start-up bands and hip-hoppers...the people I take care of....

AND it would be nice to have a small control room to put the noisy equipment in and perhaps two other rooms so a guitarist could isolate from the drummer.

I was planning on putting this up at a friend's place...but have recently reconsidered due to odd behavior(let's leave it at that).

Maybe there is another spot for rent cause I dont think they are gonna let me put it in the backyard.

It would nice to have a real address and a sign out in front...it's kinda like a portable storage unit...maybe 12 or 16 ft wide and 20 ft long....
voyager1 front.jpgvoyager one frame.jpgvoyager one studio plan.jpg
I suppose I could put wheels on it and cart it around ATX and "Keep Austin Weird"as a mobile studio...

In Austin? I assume you're going to have air conditioning! You'll need plenty of bass traps in rooms that small, too.

I do HVAC for a career...I got that covered...as far as bass traps I won;t need em to record hip-hop...but as far as bands go I was planning on double-walling and stud-staggering 2x4s on a 2x6 for walls..and the slant wall on the back side can certainly hold area for bass traps.

We use these devices called headphones...all the hip-hop I ever recorded is pre-recorded and the vocals are added...I suppose the bass traps are handy when mixing down with powered monitors but I usually cross reference myself with a run-thru wearing headphones in the mixdowns as well.

We use these devices called headphones...all the hip-hop I ever recorded is pre-recorded and the vocals are added...I suppose the bass traps are handy when mixing down with powered monitors but I usually cross reference myself with a run-thru wearing headphones in the mixdowns as well.

Bass traps are not just for treating rooms for monitoring at mixdown. A bad room is bad because of the buildup or cancellation of frequencies. This is also an issue in tracking rooms and also screws up tracking of vocals. Especially small ones.

Your mics are not using headphones.

Your drawings don't really show 12' or 16' width, but assuming you've got a live room 12' x 16' and a control room 12' x 8', you need PLENTY of corner trapping. Double wall construction will somewhat insulate outside noise getting in (and vice-versa).

I'm not a fan of hip-hop, but all evidence points to the same requirements when mixing/recording ANY vocals and ANY mixing - an acoustically treated room will give better results.

Back