I need information about building a home studio.

music4all

Hi,

I am planing to build a "bunker" in the back yard for recording. Can any of you recommend good books or information about constructing a home studio? I have seen some one posting pictures of his studio construction. It's very impressive. I wish I could have some detailed books to do it myself.

Thanks.

i believe the homerecording site has a bookshop .. im sure they would stock some great material.. Its the site that probly led u here ... dunno maybe ... but they should have something in that genre...
a bunker eh?? gone be some explosive sessions then eh..

"I have seen some one posting pictures of his studio construction. It's very impressive."

That would be either John or I. Thanks for the feedback.
Bookmark http://greysfiles.com/Studio/Index.htm and check back often for updates.

I read Acoustics 101 to get me ready for construction of my studio http://www.aralex.com. But I did know a great deal about construction before I read it... regular construction that is. Studio construction and regular construction are so different. A101 will at least get you in the right mindset. Some argue that it's too biased towards it's own products, but I don't care about that stuff, they tell you things that seem to be heavily guarded secrets, which is priceless.

Later,
-Brian

Thanks to all of you, Brian and John,

That's right. I've seen both of yours. I have equipment in a small room (in-house), can't move around anymore!!! and have dealed with acoustic problems too. I'd read some articles about building studios, but never had a chance to build one that I could sleep inside! I want some less expensive options; something that a budget musician like me can affort. You're absolutely right, Brian. Everything's like secret, I'd read something that led me nowhere. Materials are so expensive, manual seems puzzled. I wish I could find some detailed and comprehensive methods and books to build one myself.

Hey! I keep surfing back to your site quite often... love the pictures. At last, music should be for all.

Cheers.

I guess it would help if I knew how much experience you have with construction. Do you have any? Ever build bike ramps as a kid? Or skateboard ramps? Ever build a room in your house? Do you know how to swing a hammer? :) If you have experience with construction, studio construction is just building upon the theory. If you don't know any construction then you'll be learning everything fresh. I guess, if you have questions you can always ask. But I know how frustrating it can be, not knowing what questions to ask.

Later,
-Brian

Well, thanks for replying. If I don't know much about construction, I wouldn't dare to ask. I proudly said I'm a handyman. Yes, I do know more than just "how to swing a hammer", and yes, yes,..I'd built rooms in my house...hmm..can't count my credibility. Well, I am an Elect./computer Engineer not knowing much about acoustic problems when coming to build a studio (not a bedroom). I can run wires well but can't fool my ears. It's much easier laying equipment in the bedroom and don't give a damn what coming out of them.

This will be a fun project for me and I really want to do it right.

Suggestions, suggestions...

Ok, now that we know what you can do... we can get some ideas.

We have to know what you're after. If you're just after rooms with good acoustics, or sound proofing. The cost goes up the more you want to sound proof. If your goal is just to have good acoustics then it's a lot cheaper. Of course, though, you'll want to sound proof your control room, but whether or not you want to keep sound from getting out of the studio and into the studio, that is the question.

Back