As I bid my old room goodbye

bluesfordan

I can't help but wonder. What would my bedroom have sounded like completely empty? No furniture or anything.

The room has wall to wall carpet. Growing up it was hardwood with a few scatter rugs and that's what I played in until '79. 9 or 10 years later, new carpet. That was my 'music room' until my brother moved out and i took the unused 'office' and moved all my stuff in there. I'm about to tear the all the carpet in the house out to restore it to the hardwood floors underneath.

old drawing

gnEtXQ2.jpg

Speaking of carpet, does it have any value as sound treatment, if made into rolls, cut into panels, tack to a frame? I'll have lots I can use and I happen to have a wood source. nothing fancy. If I don't use any of it, then it'll just go to the dump.

What I'd like to do is record a few tracks in the empty room with the carpet still on the floor. Remove the music gear, tear the carpet out and record again. I suspect the room will be very sharp and pingy when it is empty and the floor naked.

Make sure you're naked as to not fudge the numbers.
Anyway,George Augspurger used a lot of open back carpet over pegboard and such in his designs.
Works as a membrane.
I'll dig something up if interested.
Foam backed goes to the dump.

G

hmm *googles open back carpet*

is it the type with the mesh on the back? Because that's what I have.

either my google-fu is weak or google is just plain lousy. I keep getting pictures of celebs in open back dresses on the red carpet

:facepalm:

hmm *googles open back carpet*

is it the type with the mesh on the back? Because that's what I have.

either my google-fu is weak or google is just plain lousy. I keep getting pictures of celebs in open back dresses on the red carpet

:facepalm:

As long as air can pass through...good to go.

G

googled Augspurger, appears there is the speaker dude and a studio acoustics dude. not the same person? got any information about those panels? I have pegboard hanging around, too. This could be the silver lining of this whole moving out of the house beeswax.

I'm partial to a vintage 70s shag carpet on the walls. A good 1 inch nap of wool and polyester, preferably in a bright orange or basic black. It worked wonders on the walls of thousands of vans and the basements of teenage boys from coast to coast.

I always associated that burnt umber orange color with the '70s :D

---------- Update ----------

wish i could find a picture of those panels. Wonder if tuft side out or back side out on the panels?

I'm partial to a vintage 70s shag carpet on the walls. A good 1 inch nap of wool and polyester, preferably in a bright orange or basic black. It worked wonders on the walls of thousands of vans and the basements of teenage boys from coast to coast.

Or lime green. Until someone spilled bong water on it. Creating a scent that can never be removed

eeeyyyuuuck, so glad I never had a bong in this house since I moved in back in 1988. Don't miss that nastiness at all.

Oh man, it was the 70's and I can't remember a lot of it as I was a hard partying teen back then. I wouldn't allow that kid in MY house:rolleyes:

Back