how terrible would a finished basement playroom sound ?

bluesfordan

our basement was converted to a playroom back nearly 50 years ago. It has a drop ceiling and a raised floor, likely 1" slats under plywood with industrial style carpeting. The walls are sheetrock with paneling about halfway up from floor. There are three closets, 2 nearly the same size one being the utility (water and electric panel) the other just storage. There is a larger closet. There are no windows in this room. The ceiling is rather close due to the floor being raised but whatcha going to do? There is a box built around the center beam that divides the ceiling into 2 sections.

I'm in the process of emptying the room, there will be some stuff mostly boxes of paperwork (bass traps :D) If my brother follows through with his plan to sell his condo and move back into the house, I'm losing the bedroom I had planned to use.

How awful does a low ceiling affect the acoustics?

It’s going to be a bit ringy, with a lot of sound bouncing around in the room. Do yourself a favor if you can. Buy/build some bass traps, and broadband absorbers( rockwool/ 703 style). Do a bit of research online about sound absorption, and room treatment. It can make a big difference, especially if you have a whole band playing at once.

Back