How to make studio less depressing

ConnorMaine

So, I'm recording in my garage where there are no windows and it looks pretty dank on the inside. What are some ways that I can make it look a bit less dismal and promote creativity?

Lamps and posters. Most people like a dark moody room. Oh, lava lamps are always cool.

"How to make studio less depressing"

Record happy music...or use the gloomy ambiance to record Death Metal or sad power ballads. ;) :D

Seriously though...there is a simple solution you can find at any hardware store...it's called "paint". :)
Pick some brighter colors you like...go nuts.

I once did an entire wall with the "returns" you find at Home Depot...paint that was the wrong color or whatever, and they sell it for like pennies on the dollar.
I just went in and picked up a bunch of cans, and then painted the all a base color, then went over it with random "smudges" of various other colors, using a few different brushes and application devices.
It came out great, and everyone always thinks it's wallpaper, because even though I did it "random"...I kinda followed an application pattern. I would start with one brush/color...then just dab the entire wall in generally equal spots/spread...then the next, and then the next...etc. Sometimes bigger strokes, sometimes small dabs.
I kept doing that with multiple passes, and that created a layered look. Plus, some of the paint was flat, some semi, some shiny...so that added to the texture.

The nice thing about it...I didn't have to paint "carefully", like you normally do. I just went nuts and had some fun. It really came out great.

"How to make studio less depressing"

Record happy music...or use the gloomy ambiance to record Death Metal or sad power ballads. ;) :D

Seriously though...there is a simple solution you can find at any hardware store...it's called "paint". :)
Pick some brighter colors you like...go nuts.

I once did an entire wall with the "returns" you find at Home Depot...paint that was the wrong color or whatever, and they sell it for like pennies on the dollar.
I just went in and picked up a bunch of cans, and then painted the all a base color, then went over it with random "smudges" of various other colors, using a few different brushes and application devices.
It came out great, and everyone always thinks it's wallpaper, because even though I did it "random"...I kinda followed an application pattern. I would start with one brush/color...then just dab the entire wall in generally equal spots/spread...then the next, and then the next...etc. Sometimes bigger strokes, sometimes small dabs.
I kept doing that with multiple passes, and that created a layered look. Plus, some of the paint was flat, some semi, some shiny...so that added to the texture.

The nice thing about it...I didn't have to paint "carefully", like you normally do. I just went nuts and had some fun. It really came out great.

That sounds very cool , I am going to have to try that!

Ha! Thanks, guys. I have some random LED strips lying around that I might build some light boxes with as well as some paint that's probably too old, but we'll make it work. I'm in the Midwest, so the Midwest Emo thing suits well. I'll have to work on the Death Metal thing though.

Back