How do you store your cables?

Seidy

Hi!
I'm starting to upgrade my studio in summer and tought to ask how do you store/hang your cables? I have some ideas, but maybe you've come up with something better. Pictures are welcome.

I do the same thing in my studio that I do in my farm workshop. I leave everything in a pile where ever I was last using them until I cannot possibly find anything that I am looking for(usually several months), then I spend a day cleaning up. Going to the store and purchasing what I cannot find is also an option. Good luck! Hope this helps!:D

I use a similar method. I throw them on the floor .... trs's in one pile and rca's in another pile ....... then I set amps on them and forget they're there ...... spend the better part of two hours tearing the house apart looking for them ...... finally find them but now Fringe is coming on so I shut down all the gear and quit, carefully setting something different on the cord piles for next time.

I've always been funny about things like that. I used to hang them on long screws, screwed into the wall, so they were always to view. That's not really possible where I live now, so I have all my mic cables in one small green cloth bag, all my jack leads in another black bag and the miscelleaneous leads in one other DVD bag. Things like the lead to my multitracker, monitors or other pieces are stored with those respective items. I'm an organized dictator. Heck, I even like to know what the local foxes and mice are up to. I like to know exactly where everything is coz I hate wasting time looking for stuff that should be to hand. I love a bit of chaos in my music though.

I coil them neatly, then stack them in a pile on top of some drawers. I'd hang them, but I don't really have anywhere to hang them.

I wrap em around hand/elbow, and use velcro to tie all the cables that are the same type together.. Then they go in milk crates and on the bottom shelf of a big shelving unit.

Winding them with the "over/under" method, then Velcro to hold them, and then hanging them is the most common/best studio practice.

You don't need special products to hang them. Get some old-style clothes hooks, the ones that have a longer upper and shorter lower hook, and you can hang several cables from each hook.
You can get a few, space them accordingly, and then screw them to a single piece of wooden board....like a 4" x 1/2" x 6' long (or whatever you need)...that way you won't be hunting for wall studs for every hanger. ;)
You can even have them spread around your studio space.

I keep mic cables in one area...guitar cables in another...speaker in a third...patch cables in a fourth....etc.
That way they are where you want them, off the floor and out of the way...and not getting crushed/stepped on or turning into spaghetti in some pile! :D

I wrap em around hand/elbow, and use velcro to tie all the cables that are the same type together.. Then they go in milk crates and on the bottom shelf of a big shelving unit.
Look up the over/under method miroslav is talking about. You're going to end up replacing a lot of cables in the long run if you do it the elbow way. All that twisting breaks connections after a while.

Yeah, actually I do konw the over/under thing from my local crew work. The cables I have out stay out, the ones that are in storage stay there. I dont move a lot of cables in and out of storage, I never really put many cables away.... I thought that method was mostly for super long cables like 100' etc, cuz it'd be impossible to get it out untangled if you didnt over/under it.

I've got several coat hook looking things (only bigger) mouted to my walls that I just coil em up, velcro em and practice ring toss when the creative juices aren't flowin.
:D

Yeah, actually I do konw the over/under thing from my local crew work. The cables I have out stay out, the ones that are in storage stay there. I dont move a lot of cables in and out of storage, I never really put many cables away.... I thought that method was mostly for super long cables like 100' etc, cuz it'd be impossible to get it out untangled if you didnt over/under it.
Nope, it's for all cables. It's more of a pain with longer ones. It doesn't take me any longer to do it the proper way than the bad way, so I don't see why I would wreck my cables to do it the bad way.

Back