How Do I Record a "Small" Sound in a Large Room?

Resurrect

The pastor of my church has graciously allowed me to use one of the church rooms for recording in. The only problem is that the room is rather large and has too much echo to it. So recording the drums is rather difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions to dampen the sound? would hanging blankets up around the kit help? Thanks?

Yes, hanging blankets around the kit would help to minimize reflected sound from entering the microphone diaphragms. This would enable a more "intimate" sound with less room reflections. I would hang moving blankets on lighting stands, ladders, extra mic stands, etc. Try to hang them so that your blankets are higher than the tops of the cymbals. Also, it may be obvious but having a rug, blanket or other absorbent material under the drums will also help.

Blankets and rugs will help with the slapback echo, but won't help any low-mid and bass wave build-up. Close-mic with dynamic mics to pick up less room. Your overheads will probably pick up a lot of room sound.

Ok, thanks, guys. I'll give it a try. Is there a specific distance I should hang the blankets from the kit?

Back