Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How do i get rid of electrical hum in my recording set-up?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikes View Post

I will check the balanced cables to see if the ground wire is connected if so i will disconnect it on one side (that should help right?)

Edit: Disconnecting the lift pin (at the end of the connector which connects to the monitor) on the balanced cables didn't work
    You need to disconnect both left and right speaker cables, disconnecting on won't work.

Alan.

Thanks
    Here is a short 20 second recording i made of the hum: vocaroo (.) com/i/s0wXNblTWjFI

I put the monitors on max volume so the hum would be clearly audible in the recording.
    - How did you make the recording? Mic in front of monitor?
    - Any 'hum' heard in headphones plugged into the interface?
    - How are the levels set between the interface and monitors? If the interface is set say around 3 o'clock on the Master Level output control and the monitor input level is set for normal listening volume, can the noise be heard?
    Mark.......

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    Not simply basic 'hum', but some other crap in there as well. Downloaded sikes wav file, loaded up in Audacity and normalized to bring it up to listening level. New mp3 file as an attachment.

What else do you have on the desk/table where the gear is located? Florescent lighting/CFL bulbs, device with a transformer nearby to cables or the gear or anything else that could possibly create electrical noise?
    Mark, what did you do to get that link to play please? I pasted it into Fire fox but just got the Voccara website, no sign of OP's audio.

Dropbox I can handle (sort of, it grabs everything, runs all the time and I don't like that so I don't have it installed) but now there are SO many obscure bloody sites!!

Jus' paste a freeking MP3 for 20 second tests chaps! I don't then have to record it again, just stuff it into Samplitude and convert it to 16 bit 44.1kHz .wav for Right Mark anny. (cos, if 16 bit wavs wos allowed for short tests???)

Dave.

Thanks
    Here's a wetransfer link with a 320 mp3 file for everyone who wasn't able to open the last link. I'm apparently too new to the forum to post links or attached files hence the weird way of posting the link (just type the . without parentheses): we (.) tl/t-xAua4Tx8MB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    - How did you make the recording? Mic in front of monitor?
    - Any 'hum' heard in headphones plugged into the interface?
    - How are the levels set between the interface and monitors? If the interface is set say around 3 o'clock on the Master Level output control and the monitor input level is set for normal listening volume, can the noise be heard?
    -Recorded using an okatva mk 012 pointed to the speaker (about 10cm away). I recorded it with the connected audio interface. The hum does not appear on recordings done with the interface, it's purely on the speakers.

-The hum can not be heard on headphones, only the speakers.

-The output volume of the interface does not seem to affect the loudness of the hum, increasing the volume of the speakers does make the hum louder.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Mark, what did you do to get that link to play please? I pasted it into Fire fox but just got the Voccara website, no sign of OP's audio.

Dropbox I can handle (sort of, it grabs everything, runs all the time and I don't like that so I don't have it installed) but now there are SO many obscure bloody sites!!

Jus' paste a freeking MP3 for 20 second tests chaps! I don't then have to record it again, just stuff it into Samplitude and convert it to 16 bit 44.1kHz .wav for Right Mark anny. (cos, if 16 bit wavs wos allowed for short tests???)

Dave.
    I had to look a bit as well.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vocaroo-jpg  
    Mark.......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Yes, that is horrible. Rightmark give another view. The strong 3rd harmonic suggests to me a mains transformer being run very close to its VA limit. Could indeed be a choke in a lamp.

The level at 50Hz shows it is induced hum and not the 100Hz you get from poorly filtered power supplies.

Dave.
    The main light in the room i have this gear set up uses a dimmer switch that actually emits a weird buzzing noise when turned on. You think that could have something to do with it? Because i too am starting to suspect it has more to do with the electricity here than with audio wiring and the equipment.

Thanks
    The main light in the room i have this gear set up uses a dimmer switch that actually emits a weird buzzing noise when turned on. You think that could have something to do with it? Because i too am starting to suspect it has more to do with the electricity here than with audio wiring and the equipment.
    Dimmers can be particularly 'noisy'. They work by 'chopping' a clean sine wave into smaller chunks which deliver less power/voltage to a lamp. The chopped up chunks tend to have sharp rise and fall edges which can create harmonics. Kill the lights that are fed off the dimmers and see if there is a difference. I had mentioned in an earlier post florescent/CFL lighting. Some of these can put out noise if they use electronic ballasts. LED lights also have electronics in them which could be suspect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dim-f3-gif  
    Mark.......

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Here's a wetransfer link with a 320 mp3 file for everyone who wasn't able to open the last link. I'm apparently too new to the forum to post links or attached files hence the weird way of posting the link (just type the . without parentheses): we (.) tl/t-xAua4Tx8MB
    So, can I ask, (cos I ain't too PC bright!) IF there is an exact form for the link why could you not type that and tell me to copy and paste it?

I know I have had more trouble since I had to move to Effing Fox but sometime PEEPS don't help either! (I am going to give Chrome a do but leep resisting. Don't larn fast these days.)

Dave.

Thanks
    Have a look too for dodgy filtered switch mode PSU's - the wall wart ones are notorious for generating all kinds of crud and putting it on the ground line - a ferrite filter often reduces it - it's rich in harmonics so disconnecting each one, one at a time might lead you too the culprit. The one on my old Dell laptop was so made I never did get it to be workable.

Thread Information