Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How do i get rid of electrical hum in my recording set-up?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I'd want to have the wiring in that house checked at this point.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikes View Post
    Thanks for all the reply's guys! Finally i found a forum where people actually reply to question, i love this place already

To clarify: The hum gets a lot more quiet when the power adapter is plugged in compared to when it's running on the battery.

Also, the hum does indeed get louder as i turn up the volume of the speakers so all of the issues are indeed pointing to the audio interface. I have also tried a different interface (focusrite saffire 6), this interface gives less hum on it's own but as soon as i plug in for instance a synth or an instrument thats connected to a power outlet the hum gets really bad. So maybe there is just an issue with the electrical circuit where i live? I live in Europe (Belgium), and all sockets have three pins here so i didn't think that would be the issue.

I will check the balanced cables to see if the ground wire is connected if so i will disconnect it on one side (that should help right?)

In the meantime i will also start reading some of the pdf's posted here, i need to brush up on my knowledge of electricity anyway.

Edit: Disconnecting the lift pin (at the end of the connector which connects to the monitor) on the balanced cables didn't work
    Make sure all gear is plugged into the same socket/branch circuit(use a power bar if necessary).
    Also don't plug wall warts side by side on any socket/power bar(give some space between).
    Last,double check cabling and separate power and audio cables.

Gary

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Just looked up that Art DTI. Not exactly what I would have chosen, the Cleanbox 2 is more suited perhaps to simple earth isolation but the DTI should (and does) make some improvement.

Further thoughts. Make sure the Art box is at the AI end and the long run goes from that to the monitors. As with all these traff boxes they are OUTPUT isolators not 10k INPUT bridging transformers.
    Note too that the transformers themselves can pickup hum! Any residual might "tuned out" by slowly twisling the box about, even end over end.

Wall rat/line lump power supplies are notorious for spewing out hum fields! Keep them at least 500mm from audio kit and cables.

Dave.

Thanks
    Can I ask a question? Is the hum we are talking about 50 or 60Hz AC mains hum, or are we talking about something other than this? We have had questions where on hearing it, discovered the 'hum' isn't hum at all, but something with data and loads of harmonics, and the cure for that is quite different. We're assuming we are all talking about the same hum, but I'm left wondering if we're not!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    Can I ask a question? Is the hum we are talking about 50 or 60Hz AC mains hum, or are we talking about something other than this? We have had questions where on hearing it, discovered the 'hum' isn't hum at all, but something with data and loads of harmonics, and the cure for that is quite different. We're assuming we are all talking about the same hum, but I'm left wondering if we're not!
    Here is a short 20 second recording i made of the hum: vocaroo (.) com/i/s0wXNblTWjFI

I put the monitors on max volume so the hum would be clearly audible in the recording.

Thanks
    Sounds like line noise to my less sensitive ears. Here's some light reading : Taming the 60 Cycle Hum | Tone Report
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    vocaroo (.) com/i/s0wXNblTWjFI

^ Gets me nowhere, any chance of an MP3?

Dave.

Thanks
    Not simply basic 'hum', but some other crap in there as well. Downloaded sikes wav file, loaded up in Audacity and normalized to bring it up to listening level. New mp3 file as an attachment.

What else do you have on the desk/table where the gear is located? Florescent lighting/CFL bulbs, device with a transformer nearby to cables or the gear or anything else that could possibly create electrical noise?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails noise-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mark.......

Thanks
    Yeah, that's ugly. Something seriously futzing with the AC. Lights, dimmers, who knows. And honestly still haven't ruled out the interface, though OP said he tried a different one (different power supply I'd assume, or was it on bus power?).

log scale shows something generating a nice set of harmonics!

screen-shot-2018-11-27-5-03-13-pm-png
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Yes, that is horrible. Rightmark give another view. The strong 3rd harmonic suggests to me a mains transformer being run very close to its VA limit. Could indeed be a choke in a lamp.

The level at 50Hz shows it is induced hum and not the 100Hz you get from poorly filtered power supplies.

Dave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spectrum-sikes-png  

Thread Information