How can I boost the low-end?

gazzab

I've got a pair of M-Audio BX8a Deluxe monitors (on stands) and am having a lot of trouble trying to get a decent low-end in my listening position. If I stand in the corner of the room the bass sounds amazing (but obviously overblown) but in the 'sweet spot' I can barely hear it, which is a nighmare when it comes to making & mixing tracks.

Here's a crude diagram of my room:-

studioq.jpg

The bed is just a springless mattress on the floor :). Any ideas about what I'd need to do to sort the bass out in terms of repositioning things? The diagram's not exactly accurate but my listening position is about 1/3 of the way into the room and I've got my desk & monitors placed a few inches off centre to the right.

Cheers

If you want to solve the problem only by moving, you probably won't. You could move back a little bit or forward a little bit and see if you can get a better response. Aside from that you'll need to start treating the room with bass trapping. The reason you have no bass is because you're sitting in a low end null; the only way to *fix* that is with a combination of precise positioning and acoustic treatment.

Frank

Cheers Frank, I had a feeling that might be the case...

I've moved the speakers back a few inches and my listening position further from them and it's made a big difference. They're pretty big monitors so I guess they just need a bit more distance :). I'll be building some bass traps once I've moved to a new place.

I have the same monitors and have found that I hear them best when I sit back about 8-10 feet. I also have KRK Rokit 5's and Avantones for close in listening.

No. It's definitely the room.

The only difference between these speakers and others are that the BX8a's are rear ported. Rear ported designs are best suited to larger rooms where they are further from boundary surfaces. Your problem is most likely SBIR and room mode nulls.

OP, if you want more information on this look up "Speaker-boundary interference response" which is a phase response error due to boundary interactions. and... ya gotta treat that room. :D

Cheers,
John

Back