how to build a vocal booth

track pusha

Would anybody know how to build a vocal booth. I don't need it to i don't need it to be like those expensive pro ones or anything. i just want to know how i could build a 5X5 booth. for sound treatment, i'll just use some aurlex foam. I don't want to spend more than 500

Well, the big questions are how much isolation you want and how easy do you want it to be to disassemble and move.

If you want it portable, then it will not be completely sound proof.

But it may give you enough separation to track vocals as long as it is not right next to a drum set or loud amplifier.

An easy way to do it would be 1X2" frames with 1/4" plywood skins and hinged together. Then fill the inside with 2" wedge foam and make a top piece also covered with foam.

It won't be too heavy but will be fairly sturdy. You will have to hinge it so it will fold up for storage (You could use door hinges with removable pins)

Your singer may get clostrophobic, so you could try a small plexiglass window in one panel?

Dom :cool:

thank you for all this iformation, but can you explain a little more i'm kind of slow on building. also how would you do it if you don't want it to be portable.

Hello trackpusha. If isolation is your main concern then "how much" isolation is the criteria. If portabilitbility is your main concern then isolation will suffer. For information on how to build this you need to tell us what you are trying to do. For instance if you are trying to keep environmental noise(cars, trucks, aircraft, guns, :D trains, children yelling, footsteps, radios, tv) or instruments from bleeding into your vocal(or whatever)tracks or vice versa or what ever you are recording in the room from bothering neighbors etc. However, if you are in an upstairs apartment an isolation booth can be very heavy if built correctly and can place a load on existing flooring structures.
To build correctly will take some contruction skills, tools, and space.
Isolation takes mass and decoupling, and mass for this type of unit would be easier to add by using MDF instead of drywall as joints would need to be taped. Even MDF joints would need to be caulked as airborn sound will transmit even through a 1/32" hole. Also the best bang for the buck technique is MASS AIR MASS assemblys whereby you build a "box" within another "box" seperated by an AIRGAP filled with insulation.
BUT THEN, you must have a double door setup with seals, special thresholds AND HINGES depending on this threshold and THEN........the biggie....VENTILATION as SOUNDPROOF means AIRPROOF :rolleyes: and I'm sure anyone who is singing needs air to do so. ;) Now all of this can be done in several different ways, of which have been posted here numerous times. all it takes is a search as i have repeatedly told how to do this in different ways here. Of course, this all depends on what you REALLY want to end up with. Low level isolation or HIGH level isolation? High level transmission loss requires EXACTLY this, and the TWO LEAVES(boxes!) require MASS on each leaf and one leaf decoupled from the other via Resiliant channel, Risc clips or alternate stud construction. AND, these decoupled "leaves" are not just walls. The inner floor must be decoupled from your existing floor, and so must the ceiling. Penetration of these shells for ducting in ventilation, doors/jambs, and cabling and electrical, are details that take serious planning and implementation. Otherwise, ONE simple nail or screw that ties the outer shell to the inner shell, "shorts out" all your hardwork and money, by providing a transmission path for structural transmission of vibration.
HOWEVER.......from my experience over 3 years of posting here, MOST people don't believe this and proceed to build thier OWN interpretation which ends up being a frame and blanket, or cardboard, or 1/4" ply covered "box" and THEN end up with little more than zero isolation and wonder what in the f..k is going on!!!. :rolleyes: For serious isolation, it takes serious planning and fabrication even for a booth, as it is NO different than an isolation ROOM. Only size.
Sooooooooooo..
HOW SERIOUS ARE YOU? :eek: :D

fitZ

my thing is i don't don't need it totally soundproofed i just want to absorb the reflections keep the sound out from stuff in the room(wich aint that bad). I just need to know how to build the booth the actual room not how to soundproof it. when i'm done building that i'll filll it with aurlex foam

Last edited:
i don't don't need it totally soundproofed i just want to absorb the reflections keep the sound out from stuff in the room
Keep the sound out from stuff in the room?:confused: Isn't keeping sound out isolation?

but can you explain a little more i'm kind of slow on building. also how would you do it if you don't want it to be portable.
Hmmm, thats why I told you how. BTW, you don't have to be FAST building it. Just pay attention to detail.

i'll feel it with aurlex foam
Hmmmmm. How does feeling it help with absorption? :confused: :confused:

fitZ :rolleyes:

Well, here is how the prefab kits you see sold tend to be built.

The secret is in the corners. They build edge and corner pieces that sheets of 3/4 inch MDF are slid into and screwed to make a box. The Deluxe ones have more complicated edge and corner pieces that two sheets of MDF are attached to so that the walls are a mass-air-mass panel (actually MDF-air-MDF). Now MDF comes in 4X8 panels so these kits are usually multiples of 4 feet in size.

Then when it comes to the doors you try to make them the same construction as the other walls, equal thickness, equal mass-air-mass, etc. and then you give them really good seals.

For exhaust most of these have a side mounted unit with two small fans and two air channels. one bringing air in and another taking it out. It is important to not just cut a hole in the side but to make the air flow have to take a couple of turns so the sound has to do the same.

As for sound treatment you can go with auralex type foam but you most likely will get better results with some fabric covered semi-rigid fiberglass covered in fabric.

yo thanks alot man. but i'm a newbie and really understand everthing, do you have like a site with instructions. and what is MDF. I'm going to read about the fiber glass thing, though. thans again

okay.....

Use 1x2" 8ft long and assemble into a light weight frame. You can use drywall screws to put them together, but drill pilot holes so you wont split the wood.

Then cover the wood frame with any paneling you want... Most paneling comes in 4X8 sheets so everything will line up at a perfect rectangle. Use small nails and the paneling will make the frames much sturdier.

Glue your foam inside the 1x2"s. and Hinge the peices together. (You could make a triangle from just 3 panels) or just make 3 sides and put it against an existing wall!

Have fun...

Dom :o

Attachments

• 1x2.bmp
    24.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 3side.bmp
    32 KB · Views: 72
mdf is just plywood.
Sorry Brad, it is NOT plywood. MDF stands for Medium Density Fiber(board) It is like sawdust bound with a resin. VERY heavy, Very Smooth, and fairly cheap
If I were going to build a quick, down and dirty booth, the hell with frames. Lets get it done. You could build this in an afternoon, once you had all the materials, tools,hardware, and foam. All this has to do is keep room sounds out of the mic, right? This will do it. Ugly, but effective. So get busy!
Cut the ends off 4'x8' sheets of 3/4" thick MDF, so they reach from floor to ceiling with 1/4" clearance. Cut ONE panel 1/2" shorter than the height of the room. That is the door. This gives you 1/4" clearance at top and bottom.
Then cleat 3 panels together with 2x2's on the interior corners to form a 3 sided box IN PLACE. Cut 4 pieces of 2x2 cleat to fit between the corner cleats along the inside at the ceiling and fasten to the ceiling with drywall anchors. Just remember to predrill pilot holes in the 2x2.
Then screw one 2x2 alone each edge of the open end as a door jamb, and fasten another panel to one side with heavy duty hinges
as a door. Mount a cheap gate hook and it's a done deal. What the heck, your not doing anything fancy for isolation anyway, so why waste time with frames. The heck with ventilation, open the door :rolleyes: Line it with 2 layers of carpet foam backer, fastened to the inside with sprayon foam adhesive, or Acoustic foam tiles. Run some foam weatherproofing strips with peel off adhesive backer, up the edge of the door to seal it and VOILA! A down and dirty booth that you can simply unscrew and take with you!! Just predrill all the holes through the MDF, to fasten to the 2x2's. Use 2" drywall screws to fasten the whole thing together, but countersink the holes first. Mark off your screw holes at 6" on center up the edges where the corners come togeather, Consider the second panel the BACK. THE first and third the sides. Fit the back OVER the edges of the 2 sides. Actually, screw the 2 side panels to the 2x2 edge AND ceiling cleats while they are laying on the floor. Mark the outline of the 4x4 box on the ceiling. Fasten ONE piece of 2x2 to the ceiling where the back goes. Raise the back(make sure you have PRE DRILLED screw holes in the panel at both edges and the top) and fasten it to this cleat.
Then raise one side, fasten the back and the ceiling cleats. Then raise the other side and fasten it the same way. Then fasten the ceiling cleat for the DOOR. EASY. In fact, you could build a 2x4 frame for a floor, and cover it with a layer of MDF too. Then you have something to fasten the panels to at the bottom also, and that would provide a place for a seal for the door at the bottom too. Draw it out on paper and that will help you.
A little paint on the outside, and maybe if you feel like it, cut a hole in the door, screw a little 2x2 frame around it and pop some plex or 1/4" glass in for a window. EASY, just think about it for a while. Cutting MDF is easy with a skill saw, if you clamp a board across the end as a straight edge guide. Hell, one cut on each panel is all you need. :rolleyes: This stuff is HEAVY though, and hard to manuver in small spaces. But the MASS of the MDF is what will give it SOME, and I mean that with tounge in check, some isolation. But what the hell, like you said, you DON"T need real isolation. ;) But you DO need a booth, and this will make it quick, cheap, down and dirty and 4'x4'x8' tall.

Here is what you need.
(4)sheets 3/4"x4'x8' MDF. Even home depot carries this usually.
(6) 8' 2x2's A box of 2" drywall screws.
8 drywall anchors long enough to go through the 2x2's and the 1/2" sheetrock ceiling(2 per cleat)
128 sq feet of foam carpet pad(double that for 2 layers)
24 linear feet of foam weatherstripping( or use some scraps of the carpet
foam between the panel and the Jamb.
3 heavy duty butt hinges and 3/4" screws for each
1 SAFETY latch of some type on the INSIDE ONLY.(you do NOT want to get trapped in this, as you REALLY could die if you were alone :eek:
Optional floor and window
3 more 8' 2x2's (cut to fit whatever size window you want) You figure out how to frame it in, and HOLD it in. I would use 1"x1" wood stops if it were me.
1 more sheet of MDF
Glass or plexiglass cut to required size.
Good luck.
fitZ :)

PS. this is just a BIG BOX. Think in those terms and it becomes EASY. ;) But THINK ASSEMBLY SEQUENCE! Do all the hard stuff first, like predrilling holes, fastening hinges etc etc.

Last edited:
Dom Franco said:
Use 1x2" 8ft long and assemble into a light weight frame. You can use drywall screws to put them together, but drill pilot holes so you wont split the wood.

Then cover the wood frame with any paneling you want... Most paneling comes in 4X8 sheets so everything will line up at a perfect rectangle. Use small nails and the paneling will make the frames much sturdier.

Glue your foam inside the 1x2"s. and Hinge the peices together. (You could make a triangle from just 3 panels) or just make 3 sides and put it against an existing wall!

Have fun...

Dom :o
That's exactly what I did. I used the Markertek "giant acoustical foam" for insulation, which is cheap (like $25.- per side of your vocal booth). At the end of each session, I can simply store the three panels in my closet and my wife is happy :)

These are all reasonably good way of creating a fairly dead vocal recording place but do not expect great things in terms of isolation.

Back