How big?

phlopip

I want to build a studio in my garden where i can record my drums. What size building would you reckon would be enough to be comfortable. I have a 5 piece kit.

I think generally speaking, bigger is better. You want to stay away from dimensions that are equal, ie length != width != height. Cubes are terrible, depending on the size, certain frequencies are reinforced and cancelled, you end up with an acoustic nightmare.. I think dimensions that have low common denominators (like 8x12x16, 10x15x20, etc) are bad for the same reason, altho not as bad as cubes (where the lcd=1).

I'm not a pro, and I'd have to do some research to make sure, but this is my initial thought: If I was building a custom live-room, I'd probably go with a minimum of something like 8x13x19 (assuming 8' ceilings) - and I'd vault the ceiling if possible.

I want to build a studio in my garden where i can record my drums. What size building would you reckon would be enough to be comfortable. I have a 5 piece kit.

My first questions back are:

How much room do you have? (sq. meters or feet)

What is your budget?

What is your favorite drum sound? :D

Get that for me and I'll give you some options.
Cheers,
John

i have approx 100 meters square. my budget is £1000 and my drum sound is kind of specific lol, the album "Songs for the Deaf" by Queens Of The Stone Age, that drum sound.

as long as the drummer will be feel comfortable and that those mics cannot be look crowded or disorganized. i say that a wide sounding drum with room ambience need some bigger space. but i tight sounding drum might need a smaller room.

i have approx 100 meters square. my budget is £1000 and my drum sound is kind of specific lol, the album "Songs for the Deaf" by Queens Of The Stone Age, that drum sound.

10m X 10m?? wow. You are a little short on funds though. :(

You probably need about 100 cubic meters in volume to really get the sound you want. And building from the ground up is going to run you at the very least around £30,000 - 60,000 when all is said and done... if you do it yourself. :eek:

did I miss something?

Cheers,
John

Back