(Homestudioguy) Bob G's new DIY desk

homestudioguy

Finished up a new desk early this year.
I had the design 95% mapped out on paper then adjusted as the build progressed.
Materials cost minus rack rail was about $130ish and I reused the drawer slides from the previous desk.
Added another Samson Patchbay to the mix (one on desk and one in rack) and that has really helped with the Spaghetti Wiring.

2020BobGdesk Build.jpg

2020BobGdesk Front.jpg

2020BobGdesk Rear.jpg

2020BobGdesk01.jpg

Put a mirror on the flat surface of the desk (I think it's way too big) and if you can see your speakers, it's fucked up. ;)

Cheers,
John

Did the big mirror thing. Thanks for the suggestion. Top of the Mix Cubes Show so will drop them down a bit. My desk is not too big for me! The Faderport, Monitor Station and new Atom take up 1/3 of the desktop right off the bat.
When I get my Songwriting stuff out and add to mouse and keyboard, another 1/3 gets covered. John, If I had a 6ft wide 64 channel console would that be too big or would that be fucked up?

Did the big mirror thing. Thanks for the suggestion. Top of the Mix Cubes Show so will drop them down a bit. My desk is not too big for me! The Faderport, Monitor Station and new Atom take up 1/3 of the desktop right off the bat.
When I get my Songwriting stuff out and add to mouse and keyboard, another 1/3 gets covered. John, If I had a 6ft wide 64 channel console would that be too big or would that be fucked up?

I have always said that the TWO worst things that you can put in a studio are; 1. Speakers and 2. a Desk or Console.
Yes, a huge piece of shit 6 ft wide 64 chan console does indeed fuck things up. But... just because many of my clients do that, doesn't mean that it's 'okay', or a good way to have an accurate room. MOST Studios with huge consoles orient them to eliminate desk reflections (at least in my studios) and have flush-mounted speakers a fair distance away. I have even tilted the big consoles so that the angle of reflection is better. ;)
Cheers,
John

I was wondering about the peripherals being mounted so that their faces are nearly flat. Now maybe most of the gozintas and gozoutas are on the back side but switches and pots are susceptible to dust debris crumbs and liquids (unless you're superhumanly disciplined, I'm not :D)

Back