Home studio in an asymmetric room

Cinnamon

Hello!

I'm currently in the process of setting up my home studio in the attic room. I went through yet another rearrangement of the space and now I'm committed to putting solid effort into monitor positioning and acoustic treatment of the room, before deciding where to sleep and where to keep my clothes. I've done lots of reading and experimenting with different setups before (up to the point where I treated the room with absorbers so heavily, that I felt as if I sat in a submarine) but I still wouldn't consider myself an expert, so I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to set myself up in this cozy space.

So the room looks like this:

FRONT WALL
SAM_2228.JPG

REAR WALL
SAM_2229.JPG

TOP VIEW
home_shot.png

FRONT VIEW
home_shot2.PNG

So the decision about placement would be pretty straightforward to me, if not for the fireplace chimney which you can see in the first photo on the right (it's also visible in the first schematic in the lower-left, the other rectangle is a 95cm high staircase railing), since it introduces asymmetry in the room response. I'd welcome any suggestions on how to approach this in terms of positioning and treatment. The ceiling is wooden, back and front walls are concrete and the chimney is obviously hollow with metal inside and plaster outside.

Since space is quite limited here I was thinking about putting monitors on shelves attached directly to the rear wall. I'd like to know if it's a good practice and if it requires some special acoustic treatment.

I'd also welcome any recommendations of articles regarding do-it-yourself diffusers and absorbers. I don't want to spend lots of $$ on the things I can do myself and I happen to have a small woodwork workshop downstairs.

Thanks in advance. This is my first post on this forum and since I do loads of homework on producing, mixing and mastering I feel I might become a regular. Cheers!

Filip

With the hard sloping sidewalls...it's not a easy space to talk about "optimum" placement...but if it was me, I would set up against the far wall with the small window...dead center, firing back toward the chimney/staircase.

That room reminds me of my own bedroom when I was young teen. We had a smaller house, and for me to have my own space, the only option was to finish off the attic. I use to have my guitar and amp at one end, and my bed and small desk at the other....but back then, I wasn't recording, there was no such thing as home recording yet in those days. :eek:

Yes, you don't have much choice, setting up on the wall with the chimney over your right shoulder is the only option. The sloped ceiling looks to be paneling or beadboard? Lots of reflections and corners. Treat what you can in the vicinity of your desk, and hope for a better place in 3-4 years.

Back