Hola..

cecerre

I am new to this board..Actually came across it tonight. Right to the post...Hope this is the right area...My new setup...
1 x 24.8 (used) Mackie console
1 x New Alesis HD24
1 x New Dual channel Presonus preamp (TubePre)
1 x New single Channel Presonus Pre
1 x used Alesis GT AM52
1 x Audix Fusion 7 7-PieceDrum Mic Kit
1 x SM58
1 x SM57
1 x Behringer 4 channel compressor (mdx4400, I think)
1 x Behringer 2 channel comp/lim/exp/gate (mdx2200 I think)
1 x 2 channel DBX comp/lim
various dig verb/delay effects, etc..Nothing too fancy..
All the cabling to make this go bang.

I just ran some test tracks last weekend now that everything is hooked up and I know 2 things. The room I am using (A small 100 sq ft) needs sound reinforcement. Its a square 10' x 10' room and all sounds good on the drums except that the ride cymbal seems to bleed in from all mics. Was just using a couple condensors for the test track..The AM52 in front facing a little right and the Audix condensor facing left (None overhead) I intend to put up some foam or the like (Maybe some 703 fiberglass, but hey, if foam works..) and insulate the interior wall between the 'live room' and the control room. I was thinking I could pull all the sheet rock down and put in some acoustic insulation if there is such a thing. I also need to put in some jacks as I have to run cable under the doors (The 2 rooms sit side by side with a roughly 4 x 5 foot window between them. I get a lot of sound from the doors since the rooms are side by side and a lot of kick in the conrol room. Sub harmonics anyway and it causes stuff against the wall to rattle a bit. More annoying than anything. Anyway if anyone would like to share their constructive opionion, views, etc on this new setup, please do post. I'm always looking to learn from others mistakes! (I watched both pt 1 and 2 of the Clang studio setup. My project is far smaller than that, but good info anyway!)
O ya one other thing. I have a DAT but what does everyone mix down to these days? And, can anyone suggest some decent computer software for maybe mastering in or to..

Thanks and hello..

-PC

Ya, I have all the high powered hardware a man could want. Im just more confortable and in control with analog equipment. I looked into just getting a control surface, but Im looking for greater ability than a computer based system can provide. The 'big' studios still use good ole consoles like this so it can't be all bad ; ) Was kinda hoping someone could point out some minor (Ok inexpensive) improvements to the hardware before I start dumping money into track lighting and sound reinforcement..(Shh, my wife thinks Im done buying "everything" I need cause I got a big board out there...heh)

O ya and thanks for the welcome. Looks like some lively folks!

-PC

Hey Cecerre welcome aboard :)

All these guys can better explain all of this stuff than i can, but maybe (As you perhaps already suspect) you could put some small money into room treatment (design) and improve your mixes (Not that i'd know if they were good bad or bad) as opposed (or along with) newer gear.

Maybe some basstraps and other treaments and/or a slight design altering of your room so it's not square.

Maybe you have all this already, but if not it bares some thought and a good old fashioned look around here to see what other's have done.

Anyways, welcome.
-Billy-

EDIT- I SOMEHOW missed that you mentioned the 703 and treatment... Doing 3 things at once here- sorry. But the Welcome still stands :)

Back