Help!? Wiring a new studio from Control Room to Live Room. Any suggestions???

milessound

Hello,

I am building a 2 room studio. Currently, the live room is 18'x13' with sloping 8'6" to 11' peak. The double walls are 4" apart using Roxul in both walls. The control room is 20'x20' (may change to 20'x14') with 11' ceilings. I am using 2 layers of 5/8" with green Glue throughout both rooms. This larger room is the control room only because due to codes in my area, I had to flip my plans and not double wall it. I am using RC Channel. I my switch back if it proves to be suitable for live use. My question is I am running 2 sets of 16 channel Mogami cable to 2 sides of the room from control room. I have them in a pic pipe slightly larger than each cable, that is only touching outer leaf. Haven't really found too much in the way of actually running a cable in bare walls pre-drywall and how to secure them for a tight cut around and not have them get messed up. I have 3 ethernet cables 2 cat5, 1 cat6 to a low voltage box on one wall. I will be recording full bands etc. Should I run extra ethernet for headphone mixes and how many? Can I use the Mogami for headphones as well with no interference? I've heard conflicting views.Should I run a whole other 4-8 channel wire just for headphones? Basically, if you were running cable right now, what would you run to make it as future proof as possible? What would you put on the same wall panel so that there will be no interference? I am in the process of deciding on a new interface/mixer so I can't tell you what I'm going to be using when this is done yet.

I am in the process of finishing up anything I need because the drywall guy is coming very soon. Want to make sure I have the wire I'll need in the walls !!!!! Help! Please?

Last edited:
A diagram of exactly what you are up to would help! By "interference" do you mean sound leakage due to the cable ducting being a breach in the wall structure?

I know how I would tackle getting wires across the rooms but there must be tried and tested "pro" techniques and hardware? One thing for DB certain? MORE CAT X! The stuff is cheap as chips (compared to audio cable) in fact if you pally up with a network installer he will probably give you some "ends of boxes". (I have about 200mtr of experimental CAT 7, 4 indv' shielded pairs that I am about to chuck!) .

UTP can carry headphone/control/power*/TB/ line at a pinch. FTP can carry 4 mic lines if the need arises.
Whatever you do, leave a plastic waste pipe in there with a couple of strong pull thru' chords.

*by "power" I mean low V low W DC, keyboards etc.

Dave.

I have 3/4 pvc running just out of inside wall for 2 runs of 16 channel mogami from control room as well.

---------- Update ----------

Thank you Dave for the reply!

Oh, does it have to be a straight run with the cat6 or can I run this stuff through network? Is it a problem if I run it through the same hole as the multi wire? I've seen patch bays now with both in the same panel.

Back