Help treating this basement space!

JPP90

Hey everyone, really curious on how to go about treating this space in my new basement. First time trying to really build a small home studio space. I'm aware of how difficult all the factors make it, but I'd like to get as close as I can. I can't really build since I'm going to be renting. Where would you guys recommend me to set up my desk and such? Thank you!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
Probably the empty wall to the left of the window....but TBH, there's not a significantly optimal choice, it's pretty much about even, so you could just set up where it would feel the most comfortable to you. Like you could set up at the window, so you have a nice view...or even the wall opposite the window.

Kinda depends on what it is you're setting up and how much room you need for it...plus what type of "treatment" you were looking to do, or able to do.
At the least, you'll need to put up some broadband traps on the walls/ceiling to deaden it some. Also depends on your expectations and what you're looking to do in the space....I mean, there's a lot of variety in home studio setups and what people do in them.

Yes, I'd set up the desk in the center of the wall at the bottom of your 'floor plan' pic. Broadband traps in the 3 corners (one near the door may not be quite 45 degree). and the one on the back corner where the hall is flat against the wall)the open space will 'absorb sound).

Probably the empty wall to the left of the window....but TBH, there's not a significantly optimal choice, it's pretty much about even, so you could just set up where it would feel the most comfortable to you. Like you could set up at the window, so you have a nice view...or even the wall opposite the window.

Kinda depends on what it is you're setting up and how much room you need for it...plus what type of "treatment" you were looking to do, or able to do.
At the least, you'll need to put up some broadband traps on the walls/ceiling to deaden it some. Also depends on your expectations and what you're looking to do in the space....I mean, there's a lot of variety in home studio setups and what people do in them.

Thank you for your response! I more or less want to use the room to write and record guitar parts etc. I also work on hip hop/edm beats a decent amount. At points I also want record vocals with my Shure SM7B Mic, but more for demo purposes than anything. I record final vocals at a "real" studio - but I'd love to of course get the best sound possible at my home studio. As far as the set up goes, I was thinking of setting up against the window for aesthetic purposes, but I'm willing to relocate if it'll make a vast difference. Thanks again!

Thank you for your advice! I originally thought about setting up against the window for aesthetic purposes. What would be your take on that? Would I be just better off setting up against the wall you recommended? Thanks!

---------- Update ----------

Yes, I'd set up the desk in the center of the wall at the bottom of your 'floor plan' pic. Broadband traps in the 3 corners (one near the door may not be quite 45 degree). and the one on the back corner where the hall is flat against the wall)the open space will 'absorb sound).

Thank you for your advice! I originally thought about setting up against the window for aesthetic purposes. What would be your take on that? Would I be just better off setting up against the wall you recommended? Thanks!

You can set up at the window...it will be fine, and I do understand the aesthetic value of being able to have that outside view when you are sitting there for hours writing, etc. Just treat the rest of the room with some traps as best as you can.

You can set up at the window...it will be fine, and I do understand the aesthetic value of being able to have that outside view when you are sitting there for hours writing, etc. Just treat the rest of the room with some traps as best as you can.

I would agree if this space is for creativity and not as much for final mixdown stuff, I would lean towards the window as center of your desk. That being said, the other wall on the bottom of your drawing would maybe suit better if you planned on mixing projects with monitor speakers. Even then it will take quite a bit to treat that space.

I would say start with as much acoustic (not foam if possible) treatment as you can and go from there. And you being a renter, you are a bit more limited to what you can get away with without having to fix walls when you vacate. You can limit some high end reflections with the foam stuff with small nails holding it on walls. But that will only help a little.

It kind of a try it and see thing here buddy.

Best to you, and keep us posted how it goes. :)

When you say 'home studio' and 'treatment', we assume you will be recording & mixing, in which case there are some 'first step' things to do. If those are only occasional things, then you do what want and work with that.

UPDATE: Hey everyone, thanks for all the tips. I'm finally moved in, and although I originally mentioned not mixing much down here, I've realized I definitely want to use the space for mixing since I will be spending a good amount of time here as it is.

I decided to set up in front of that wall instead of the window. Off the bat, the acoustics in the room are all over the place. I will be building panels, just more or less need help figuring their position. The plan is to build them out of wood, 17 x 48 in , filled with recycled denim. (I'll more than likely remove all pictures off the wall at this point.)

Thanks!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

The first thing to do then, is get those corners (wall-wall and ceiling-wall) trapped. Symmetry can be important, right now you've got that sofa absorbing, with window reflecting above it, so put some heavy drapes on it, and then put some (at least) 2" thick traps on the opposite wall to try to balance things.

+1.
Just chiming in to mention it looks like the monitors are pointed at your chest.
Try flipping those sloped stands/isolation pads around, so the monitors are angled up and crossing at head height or..you know...just duck. ;)

The first thing to do then, is get those corners (wall-wall and ceiling-wall) trapped. Symmetry can be important, right now you've got that sofa absorbing, with window reflecting above it, so put some heavy drapes on it, and then put some (at least) 2" thick traps on the opposite wall to try to balance things.

Thanks! I’ll get started with the corners for sure. Just awkward with the hallway there for that 4th corner I guess. Would you recommend I also add some panels to the sides of the couch? Also where to place panels behind my desk and on the wall opposite of my desk. The panels 17 x 48 inches and are 6 inches deep with the recycled denim Insulation being 3 inches. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thank you! I got some stands on the way I just bought. Funny enough I did catch myself ducking haha

Monitoring in the nearfield takes the majority of the room out,so shouldn't have to do a lot.
Think wall rug,bookcases,heavy drapes etc...

G
wall-rugs-area-rugs-unique-living-room-rugs-blue-rug-in-wall-rugs.jpg

Thanks! I’ll get started with the corners for sure. Just awkward with the hallway there for that 4th corner I guess. Would you recommend I also add some panels to the sides of the couch? Also where to place panels behind my desk and on the wall opposite of my desk. The panels 17 x 48 inches and are 6 inches deep with the recycled denim Insulation being 3 inches. Thanks again!

Because the hall corner is 'open', there will be less reflections, but you can mount panels flat to that wall there. Do your monitors have rear-firing bass ports? If so, panels behind them would be a good idea. If not, then don't worry about front or rear wall panels at this point, get the corners and first reflection points taken care of.

Back