Help seting up my studio

psycho_buddy

Hey
whats up every one,
I'm trying to set up my own studio and im not to sure how to do it. I'm hoping on starting my own label, but for now i need some more practice and im try to figer out how set up a good studio. I mainly record metal so i want something that will cover that, but i also wanna have a set up where its easy to record what comes my way. but any ways if your willing to help with any info I'll be thankful.

Psycho buddy

What gear do you have so far?
Are you currently in a room you want to improve or starting a new build?

Give us some details...

im useing A old fostex x-28h four track, a small mixer 2 Yamaha keyboards 3 mics, a mic stand 2 guitar amps a bass amp, an old line six floor pod and my pc with protools, and my room is 17"feet by 17"feet

I'm a better dude than Ethan, just for the record. :laughings:

A square room is going to be tough, especially if you're mixing something as dense as metal. Get as much 4" broad band treatment and 6" bass trapping as you possibly can. Get all the corners, side reflection points, front wall and ceiling with 4" panels, and do 6" panels on the back wall.

Frank

is there something i could use or do in the mean time until i can get my hands on some traps and stuff.
like is there any thing i could make that would work for a small period of time?

is there something i could use or do in the mean time until i can get my hands on some traps and stuff.
like is there any thing i could make that would work for a small period of time?

Anything stuffed into corners...pillows, blankets, whatever...will help a little. They aren't bass traps, but they'll help lower the decay times a bit over a narrow-ish bandwidth. Better than nothing.

Frank

I'm a better dude than Ethan, just for the record. :laughings:

Frank

:laughings:
so noted for the records...
:laughings:

Monitors are another ? i have what would be the best ones i could buy??

short answer....the best you can afford.

But I'd take care of the room first. The room is more important (imho) than monitors but monitors are a direct and very close second in line.

You can have great monitors in a crappy room and still get mixes that are just "meh".
OTOH...you CAN get damn good mixes out of a good home stereo system set up in a well treated room.

Peace mang...:drunk:

i have been working on the sound in the room, i was able to get some foam and been working on that, what should i do after the sound??

I found a liltle trick on line with batting from wall mart. It cost $16.00 and a cut a 4x8 pice out and folded it up to 2x4 and hung it up i got anough for about 2 more 4x8 peaces, its not the best but it works a liltle and good for low buggets

Back