Help: New Studio, Treatment, Options

If you've got more panels then, by all means, put them up. The more the merrier.

I'm losing track of what the question is. Seems you have experience with fairly well treated rooms and presumably you've mixed in regular un treated rooms?
You must have your own idea of where the line is?
With first reflection points done I reckon you could get to know the room/speakers and make some good music.
If you have additional panels, or corner traps, then that's even better. :)

Sorry for any confusion.
So, what I want to just know right now is, do I use this room, IE: Is it truly good enough to produce release quality music for myself and my label, or no its not and I move my studio into my current bedroom (with sacrifices and adaptations).

*It may help in saying I product Psytrance, and now am getting into making rap beats and also rapping / vocals.

Is it truly good enough to produce release quality music for myself and my label, or no its not and I move my studio into my current bedroom (with sacrifices and adaptations).

That's a relative question. There's nothing about that room (or whatever your bedroom looks like) that says yes you will or no you won't.
So pick the room that *feels* best to you...where you will feel the most comfortable and motivated.That will go further in helping you make quality music.
I don't think it matters all that much which room you choose AFA the quality of the music. You will need to put up a good amount of treatment in either...since neither room is really what anyone would call and optimal room for recording/mixing music.

That's a relative question. There's nothing about that room (or whatever your bedroom looks like) that says yes you will or no you won't.
So pick the room that *feels* best to you...where you will feel the most comfortable and motivated.That will go further in helping you make quality music.
I don't think it matters all that much which room you choose AFA the quality of the music. You will need to put up a good amount of treatment in either...since neither room is really what anyone would call and optimal room for recording/mixing music.

Many thanks man.
So Im not talking about my quality of production. But the clarity at which I can mix / hear. This room has a fireplace, 2 windows at the shortest available wall and a passage behind me. The other window is awkwardly positioned too.
My bedroom is a near rectangle with 1 door and window. So I feel it will be a lot better-suited for a purpose built studio, albeit I'd have to sacrifice some things and not 100% ideal having my bedroom in this lounge, but music is #1 to me. Its my biggest passion in this life.

Many thanks man.
So Im not talking about my quality of production. But the clarity at which I can mix / hear. This room has a fireplace, 2 windows at the shortest available wall and a passage behind me. The other window is awkwardly positioned too.
My bedroom is a near rectangle with 1 door and window. So I feel it will be a lot better-suited for a purpose built studio, albeit I'd have to sacrifice some things and not 100% ideal having my bedroom in this lounge, but music is #1 to me. Its my biggest passion in this life.

Well...clarity of the mix is a big part in the quality of the production, IMO.

So like I said, splitting hairs about a window or a door is not going to make a lot of difference to that quality. You will treat both rooms about the same.
Being more comfortable in room A vs. B will make a difference in the quality of your mixes. :)
I mean...it's not like you're saying one room is this huge, fantastic sounding space and the other room is a 10'x10' concrete block in the basement, next to the furnace and laundry room. :D
That would be an easy choice, and substantial difference. I don't see a substantial difference between your room choices. Both will need a good amount of treatment, so when that's done...which room will feel more comfortable to you...the "feng shui" of it all...which I would think for psytrance would be important.

Note that listening in the near field with small monitors takes the majority of the room out of the equation.
Zen grasshopper.

G

Thanks for the tips guys. Really appreciate all of it. :)

So a big hesitancy of doing it in the initial room (lounge) is that I have an incredible view of the bay (im on the mountain). Should I leave my setup in this position in this room, My big corner chunks will obstruct the view a bit.

Also I'd like to open up this area a bit to have some chairs, so friends and I can sit and enjoy the tranquil view. I could move my setup to one of the other walls (but those are the longer / will cause standing waves).
The wall without the window would mean there's no right corner to put my corner bass chunk - Is that a biggy ? Uneven sound ? or possible having the passage there will "treat" it in a similar way? Im not an acoustic expert.
Just self taught.

Alternatively I could move my setup to the wall with the window, but It would be in front of the light facing window (not blocking it much, but may cause glare staring in that direction all day).

I'd appreciate your thoughts and advice brothers.
Thanks again for everything,
Will

Mmm...not sure what more info you are looking for with the "bump, bump"...?

Look...you're overthinking things that really won't matter that much AFA improving or messing up your mixing.
Pick a room...pick the wall...pick the setup. Put up some treatment where you can...go mix.

AFA the view and all that...well...make a decision, what's more important...setting up chairs for the view or setting up for mixing, etc...?
The other thing...with all this time that has passed, you probably could have tried 2-3 different setups and then found out which one works for you instead of thinking about it. ;)

Thanks man.
So to be clear, you're saying that room positioning and the acoustics (passage, fireplace, windows etc) wont matter much for mixing?

Mmm...not sure what more info you are looking for with the "bump, bump"...?

Look...you're overthinking things that really won't matter that much AFA improving or messing up your mixing.
Pick a room...pick the wall...pick the setup. Put up some treatment where you can...go mix.

AFA the view and all that...well...make a decision, what's more important...setting up chairs for the view or setting up for mixing, etc...?
The other thing...with all this time that has passed, you probably could have tried 2-3 different setups and then found out which one works for you instead of thinking about it. ;)

Thanks man.
So to be clear, you're saying that room positioning and the acoustics (passage, fireplace, windows etc) wont matter much for mixing?

I'm saying that with your two room choices...it won't matter much, as they both are not ideal mixing spaces, and both require a decent amount of treatment.
So in that case, it makes more sense to pick the room that feels more comfortable to you...treat as best as you can...and then accept the results.
I mean...one more acoustic panel here or there or one less angle here or there is not going to create a night-n-day difference when the initial room spaces are already somewhat compromised.
Not to mention...you have some other considerations...the view and all that...so pick the one that fits those things best for your needs. :)

I'm saying that with your two room choices...it won't matter much, as they both are not ideal mixing spaces, and both require a decent amount of treatment.
So in that case, it makes more sense to pick the room that feels more comfortable to you...treat as best as you can...and then accept the results.
I mean...one more acoustic panel here or there or one less angle here or there is not going to create a night-n-day difference when the initial room spaces are already somewhat compromised.
Not to mention...you have some other considerations...the view and all that...so pick the one that fits those things best for your needs. :)

? Thank you man. And what about having my monitors in front of 2 windows? Glass is terrible for reflection?

�� Thank you man. And what about having my monitors in front of 2 windows? Glass is terrible for reflection?

I currently have my monitors in front of a 6' wide window.
If you look at most pro studios...the console and monitors are in front a very large window that looks into the live room.

If you think it's going to be a problem...pull some curtains over them when you mix...but I wouldn't overthink it, considering your other options.

Back