Help! I don’t know where to start

Divinejames

Hi! I was planning on doing a home recording studio, and I’m not sure where to start. I plan I record things like sax and vocals. Sorry if I did not give enough information

Hi! I was planning on doing a home recording studio, and I’m not sure where to start. I plan I record things like sax and vocals. Sorry if I did not give enough information
Are you building this on an empty acre of ground, in your basement, or in a closet? Do you have $500,000 to spend or $500? Do you have any equipment now that you expect to reuse? I mean, seriously.

Sounds like you're going to need everything. Sorry if I did not give enough information. :D

Information. Information.

You can't get advice without giving information of your personal needs and what you have.

"Budget, budget, budget! That paparaphases a british politician. To do the same for an American? "It's the BUDGET! ******!

In reality if you cannot spend $1000 as a minimum you are going to make a dog's daily meal of this. $5000 will keep him happy for a day or so.

As a "touchstone" how much did the saxaphone cost?

Dave.

If you want to get great results, it doesn’t take lots of high end gear. Really. If I was your consultant , which I am since you asked. First things first, Room/s, get your recording and mixing rooms lined out, and properly treated ( DIY, or hire pro either is usually better than nothing). If you plan on recording and mixing, spend some money on good detailed monitors, and headphones. If you don’t have a very good room, and a decent way to hear what you’ve done, it’s going to be hard to get a mix that translates well. You don’t have to spend a lot of money now days on interfaces, mics, and preamps to get great recordings.

Is budget really the big argument?
Nowadays there are enough $200 usb mics to plug in your computer to make acceptable recordings to start with.

And if i would be a multi miljonair i still would have bought not much more then what i have at this moment for recording.
If it's good it's good. Bling will not bring better recordings.

This i say as fun homerecorder. Would be a bit different if it would be my daily profession, although then it still would be more about high profit by less costs.

This i guess is different for everyone.

There is no argument man. Just a legitimate question to the OP.

Can't give advice if we do not have a clue what he/she wants or needs.

And yes, there is a huge difference between a 'fun home recorder' and someone who records full bands. There is a quality level that must be achieved if you expect people to pay you for your time and the gear you have.

We have not yet heard back from the OP in regards to his budget so...

I'm sorry then. I read it as the argument that $5000 spend would make a dog more happy than $1000 dollar. And my thought was that a microphone is not dog food but a dog collar to use long times. I must have misread it.

Sorry but the above does not really make sense to me.
To answer your original point and quote of me. I come at recording and audio from an engineering background. When designing any system there are many factor to be considered as well as functionality. Size, weight, expected lifespan, servicability and all of those factors are tradeable against
cost. Therefore it makes abundant sense to me to get an idea of the sort of spend the reader intends? There is a lower limit where things just can't be got!

It is also MY opinion that USB microphones have their uses but building music tracks ain't one of them.

Dave.

Is budget really the big argument?
Nowadays there are enough $200 usb mics to plug in your computer to make acceptable recordings to start with.

And if i would be a multi miljonair i still would have bought not much more then what i have at this moment for recording.
If it's good it's good. Bling will not bring better recordings.

This i say as fun homerecorder. Would be a bit different if it would be my daily profession, although then it still would be more about high profit by less costs.

This i guess is different for everyone.

Completely off topic I guess, but I used to make a lot of recordings with an 8-track recorder I bought for 30 bucks. It's actually somewhat true that these days, for a couple hundred you can make very good recordings compared to anything even remotely affordable circa pre-2000.

Someone asked what did the saxophone cost. Not sure what the OP has, but as far as I know (I know several players), good saxes start at $1000. Ballpark.

Now building an entire studio from scratch... hmm. If you have the property, building something small probably wouldn't cost that much. But would you be allowed to do that? City officials etc. would probably be interested in things like "what is the intended purpose of this building". I look forward to your progress!

Back