HELP! Advice needed on how to treat this room

NickSands

Hello Guys i need help with converting my living room to a mixing room. My Goal here is to create a mixing environment that i can mix in that will translate. This room is only for mixing no recording of any sort. I am just starting the process of treating the space. Currently the room as no Acoustic treatment. As for isolation i know i will not be able to get much since i am in a rented house, what i have done so far is to block up both windows and it as helped a lot in terms of some isolation. the Room dimensions are 17' 3'' Length 10' Width 8' 8'' Height and all walls are Concrete made of 4'' blocks with pockets filled with Concrete. Walls are 4'' thick including the ceiling. My neighbors get loud at times i get like 53 db with my meter at times i live on the same building. I live in Kingston Jamaica where some material are hard to find and expensive so any alternative would be welcome. My Monitors are the Kali Lp 6s Plugged into my digi003. My budget at the current moment is $500 US can push this a bit if needs be.

QUESTIONS

1. What treatment should i start with base on my rooms dimensions and my REW results.
2. Can this room be use and get to where i can mix and the mix translate.

Attachments

• All spl.jpg
    All spl.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 9
  • impulse.jpg
    impulse.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Left Empty.jpg
    Left Empty.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 6
  • R+L Empty.jpg
    R+L Empty.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Right Empty.jpg
    Right Empty.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Waterfall.jpg
    Waterfall.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Spectrogram.jpg
    Spectrogram.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 5
  • RT60.jpg
    RT60.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 5
Simple place to start without getting all caught up with measurements and trying to "fine tune" the room...

...some bass/low-mid traps around the room...because graphs show that your upper-mids/highs are pretty even...but in the low-mids/bass, you have a lot of hard peaks and nulls...so that's what you want to deal with.

Also, if you're talking about bare concrete walls...then certainly add some broadband, lighter traps too for any early reflections.

Not sure what materials you have available there or the cost, but for $500 USD, you could probably DIY a good 15-20 or so 2'x4' panels, probably you need some that are 4"-6" deep...and some 2" deep.
So you need some wood for the framing...some rigid fiberglass or other type of ridged insulation in 2'x4' sheets...and some screws n-glue...and also some cloth that is tight weave, but acoustically friendly.
You can also just wrap the insulation panels in cloth, and forget the framing, but it's a bit harder to make the trap look nice since the cloth with compress the edges of the insulation when you wrap...so if you have wooden framing, it keeps them square.

Even if you can make 10 really good traps with the $500...and then improvise with some other materials on the rest of the space (blankets, carpet)...it will be better than bare walls, and you can always add more traps later when your budget allows it.

For mixing in a smaller space, which yours is...going for a more dead room is what will work, IMO.

Miroslave Thanks so much for your reply i really appreciate it a lot. I have available R 11 the pink stuff and i can get boards that's not that expensive. Rockwool is available but it's way more expensive here

The pink fluffy stuff won't work...not for making acoustic panels, because you would need just a large amount of it per-panel, that they would have to be extremely deep, so much that they would eat up most of your studio space.

You need this kind of ridged fiberglass...which will allow you to build 2", 4" or 6"' panels that actually make a significant difference without needing large depth and taking up your studio space.

Fiberglass Acoustic Panels | Fiberglass Sound Insulation

Wow okay so i need more rigid ones for making panels. what about the corner bass traps can i use pink fluffy like 8 inches deep with an air gap?

You would have to take like full rolls of pink and stack them on top of each other in corners to come close to the effect that a 6" panel of the ridged fiberglass has.
Otherwise, putting the pink stuff into a 2" or even 6" panel...just doesn't have the density....unless you want to try to compress it into the small frame.

Rolls of the pink, left loose, are great for low frequencies...it's just that they take up a lot of room, and the pink fibers tend to get a lot more loose than the ridged stuff...you'll have fiberglass all over the place.

Okay I understand totally. I will have to get the denser One it's way more expensive here but if that's what it takes i will have to try. I will update this post on the results as i go along.
Thanks much Mirslav.

Back