HELP! Advice on how to treat this room. Thanks in advance!

iako

Hi all, just started converting my bedroom into a mixing room (will be recording vocals as well). It's quite a large room as you can see from the pictures, so I'm struggling to treat it acoustically as I have little experience. The measurements are 4,22 m length, 3, 97 m width, 3,08 m height - in feet 13.8 long , 13 wide, 10.1 high.

I bought 10 sq metres of foam panels, and I would like to know what's the best position to put them in. For now I put 4 sqm behind the speaker, 4 sqm on the opposite wall, and 1 on the left side where the side reflection is supposed to hit tbe wall. This was just to test for any noticeable difference.
Do I need to also treat the ceiling with them? I know I'm gonna have to invest in some bass traps at some point but I would like to start by treating first reflections properly given the size of the room. Any advice and opinion would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1628.jpg
    IMG_1628.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Welcome to HomeRecording! If I had $1 for every person who comes here starting with foam treatment...
Foam is not going to help much in your room - you need full-frequency bass trapping. Foam will reuce someof hte slapback echo, but leave all the low-mids anbd bass untreated and bouncing around badly. Minimum of 4" thick compressed fiberglass or rockwool for main panels. Minimum 2" thick for ceiling cloud above your mixing position and at point-of-first-reflection on side walls.
Even better in the corners are 'superchunks' - rockwool or CF cut in large triangles and stacked floor to ceiling.
Plenty of thread in this section of the forum about it.
As you room is almost square, it doesn't make a huge difference which wall you orient on, however what you should be looking at is trap placement and symmetry (so the left/right sides and corners are treated similarly).

I would add a small area rug in the center.. roughly 1.2M x 1.8M. You can also reposition it or roll it up and stand it in a corner if needed.

Welcome to HomeRecording! If I had $1 for every person who comes here starting with foam treatment...
Foam is not going to help much in your room - you need full-frequency bass trapping. Foam will reuce someof hte slapback echo, but leave all the low-mids anbd bass untreated and bouncing around badly. Minimum of 4" thick compressed fiberglass or rockwool for main panels. Minimum 2" thick for ceiling cloud above your mixing position and at point-of-first-reflection on side walls.
Even better in the corners are 'superchunks' - rockwool or CF cut in large triangles and stacked floor to ceiling.
Plenty of thread in this section of the forum about it.
As you room is almost square, it doesn't make a huge difference which wall you orient on, however what you should be looking at is trap placement and symmetry (so the left/right sides and corners are treated similarly).

^^^What he said.

You need your monitors at ear level not pointing to your chest. They look too low in the picture.

I would also turn the room around so the desk is across the short side of the room. Then each side of the desk install a bass trap.

If you can't treat the ceiling so you need a rug to take out some of the room slap. When you turn the room round the book case is behind you which is good so don't move it. When recording or mixing open the wardrobe and the clothes inside will help tame the rear reflection, along with the bookcase.

The bed is a good help with taking out some high end, get a soft chair opposite the bed will help as well. All of this is a good cheap start to a better sounding room.

Cheers
Alan

Back