Help with acoustic panel room placement

I'm expecting the acoustic panels to arrive shortly, 2 x Bass traps 1240x640x100mm and 4 x 1240x640x50mm.
Can anybody suggest best placement please, see floorplan. The double doors on the left is a closet.
Thanks, Mike

studio.PNG

Floor to ceiling upper left and upper right with the 50's, lower right with the 100's. When you get more (100's), the high-side where the wall meets the ceiling in front of the desk and over the door to the rear.

Then, get more.

Wow! You can tell that from a drawing, without even knowing where the speakers will be?

I'm amazed.

And what height is the ceiling, please?

I did a quick pink noise test. The front wall corners deffo need the bass traps, the back corners not too bad.
The back wall with the door also needs a panel and then I reckon the main L+R reflection points.

Wow! You can tell that from a drawing, without even knowing where the speakers will be?
Assuming the speakers will be near the desk, the starting point is fairly universal. The exception in this case being the closet door in the lower corner. He'll hear a much bigger difference if he can get the high sides at some point also.

Even shooting the room - I wouldn't even bother until there are at least 8 or 12 traps in place. Also fairly universal. Every room will benefit from more broadband trapping. Even mine (with the equivalent mass of around 35-40 4" traps). All you can do is get it incrementally closer to perfect.

Just moving the speakers 10 cm each can make a serious difference. How will you know if you don't measure?

Measuring in an untreated space is like trying to fix a leak in a room that's filled with water. A measurement will show that the room is in need of broadband trapping (as basically every room of typical construction is). We already know that. So putting in a "base coat" of broadband trapping in the problem areas will make those measurements mean something.

Depending on how much energy we're talking about (for instance - a pair of average sized nearfield monitors in a small-ish room), around a dozen 2'x4'x4" broadband traps (or the equivalent mass of material) seems to be where you can really start hearing an appreciable difference. That's essentially all four corners and four high-sides.

*Then* start trying to troubleshoot particular issues. There will still be peaks and nulls - But now they'll be more defined and not just
buried in a wash.

The panels are in and have made quite a difference.
The bass traps could do with reaching ceiling height, I'll have a think about that or maybe just stand the bass traps on an unopened fibreglass roll.
Here is a quick test I did to see how the room would record, it tells me I'm happy to record in here.

Attachments

• pretreatment.mp3
    463.9 KB · Views: 18
  • posttreatment.mp3
    570.9 KB · Views: 17
The difference is (forgive me) massive. That's a nasty ring you had in there... Two of them actually, pretty close to one another. I'm actually shocked you got that kind of horsepower out of 6 panels.

MM you are right though, a couple more panels would make it even better.
I cant drill or stick anything on ceilings though so I am a bit limited, as I said a couple of fibreglass rolls to put the bass traps on would be a cheap and hopefully effective move and I have new heavy curtains going on the windows next week.
As long as I can get the room in a workable situation to record and mix I'm happy.
Cheers,
Mike

Back