Height of Bass Trap Needed

BeniRose

I am about to put bass traps in the two corners of my room that don't either have a door or window in them. One of them has a couch in the corner, so I will only be able to fit one trap on the wall, but my question is for the other corner, should I stack two traps or will one be enough? If only one (THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!) should I center it or what? I have 8 ft ceilings.

Do you already have these traps or are you building them?

Also, have you considered a super chunk? Although I'm not sure if one trapped corner wil skew your mixing position.

oh...and as far as stacked vs centered....I'd stack em.
But I'm no guru and I did the super chunk route.

I was planning on building them. Not sure what a super chunk is, but I love that band! My space is already pretty skewed because I had to put my desk against the long wall, and i'm sure there's way more work to be done than bass traps, but I wanted to cover the corners that I'm near and are "coverable". I can hear my room is way too bass heavy on playback and I think this will help with that.

Go for as much coverage as possible. So stack the two on top of each other in the one corner, and above the couch in the other corner.

Don't forget - there are 12 corners in a room - not 4! Getting more corner coverage on the wall/ceiling corners can save space and still work out great.

Don't forget - there are 12 corners in a room - not 4! Getting more corner coverage on the wall/ceiling corners can save space and still work out great.

mind_blown.gif

Could you elaborate a little more about the corner coverage on wall/ceiling saving space? I bow to your treatment knowledge GIK!

Uhhh...

...Panels across the wall/ceiling corners don't take up any floor space...

What was the question?

Ah yes, I realized what he was saying, putting corner mount panels in the intersection of the walls and ceiling. Not sure if I want to go this far or how much of it I would cover, that seems like a ton of work, and a lot of space to cover.

Also, it's not like adding panels at the wall/ceiling corners means I don't have to put panels on the walls, right?

It's about covering as much of the corner area as possible. You didn't say how big the room actually is, but if it was, say 12 x 12 and you covered all the wall/cieling corners that would be 48 foot of coverage whereas even if you did all four wall/wall corners floor to ceiling you only get 32. That will be better in general. Do you still need to do other corners? Probably. Smallish rooms can be very bad, and usually want more treatment than you can actually fit inside of them if you're shooting for flat and neutral.

Don't overlook broadband absorbtion at your first reflection points if you intend to mix in there.

Actually now that I think about it, we don't really know anything about your room, and might be making generalizing and over prescribing. What are the walls made of and what's on the other side of them? If the bass frequencies are just blowing through the walls then they're not going to be bouncing around inside your room creating standing waves. Have you identified actual problems in this room? My first instinct would be to kill the ceiling reflections unless there was a noticeable problem in the low end.

Last edited:
Ah yes, I realized what he was saying, putting corner mount panels in the intersection of the walls and ceiling. Not sure if I want to go this far or how much of it I would cover, that seems like a ton of work, and a lot of space to cover.

Also, it's not like adding panels at the wall/ceiling corners means I don't have to put panels on the walls, right?

You stated you only had two corners to work with. I was simply pointing out you do have another 8 corners in the room, 4 of which don't take up any floor space. Also, it may or may not mean that - it depends. If the side walls and ceiling are causing modal resonances, then treatment on the side wall / ceiling junction would certainly be very welcomed.

And as the poster above pointed out - don't forget to address your first reflections on the sidewalls and ceiling as well.

You stated you only had two corners to work with. I was simply pointing out you do have another 8 corners in the room, 4 of which don't take up any floor space. Also, it may or may not mean that - it depends. If the side walls and ceiling are causing modal resonances, then treatment on the side wall / ceiling junction would certainly be very welcomed.

And as the poster above pointed out - don't forget to address your first reflections on the sidewalls and ceiling as well.

Thanks guys, I might just create a new thread about my room for help treatment. The reason I asked this question here and didn't start with a thread originally, is because people tend to go very overboard on room treatment threads (this is a home recording forum, right?). I have a pretty bad bass problem during mix time, and I'm looking to solve it, so perhaps I can frame it that way when I create the new thread. I'd love to treat first reflection points, a cloud above my desk, and line every corner with a bass trap, but I just don't think that's very realistic at this point, so I was planning on just covering the two corners by where I mix for now. I'll post this all in my next thread, but thanks again for the advice!

Thanks guys, I might just create a new thread about my room for help treatment. The reason I asked this question here and didn't start with a thread originally, is because people tend to go very overboard on room treatment threads (this is a home recording forum, right?). I have a pretty bad bass problem during mix time, and I'm looking to solve it, so perhaps I can frame it that way when I create the new thread. I'd love to treat first reflection points, a cloud above my desk, and line every corner with a bass trap, but I just don't think that's very realistic at this point, so I was planning on just covering the two corners by where I mix for now. I'll post this all in my next thread, but thanks again for the advice!
Well, the thing is, sound doesn't know how much trouble we want to go through or how much money we want to spend. So, I understand that you don't want to go "overboard" with bass trapping, but if putting only 2 bass traps in the corner doesn't solve your low end problem (and it probably won't), then you only have 2 choices:

1) Treat it properly according to tried and tested methods with the proper materials.

2) Don't add anything other than the 2 bass traps and live with the fact that your low end won't be under control.

It's really that simple.

Back