Having to record with open doors?

Freeman

Hello everyone. Sorry if this is not the right section for this kind of question.

Just started building my own studio this week. Got most of the gear ready and two rooms, one for monitoring and one for playing.

The rooms share a wall but have separate doors for entry. The thing is I really would like to monitor recording with my nearfield monitors, BUT due to cables I can't fully close the doors and so sound is pretty free to travel between these two rooms which might cause bleed during the recording (the rooms aren't too soundproof either).

I can't really drill any holes for the cables either. Any suggestions? Pretty sure using a subwoofer during recording is off the table for one thing. Do you think I'm forced to use headphones as the engineer?

Any little tips would be helpful :) Maybe some slight soundproofing would help? Cheap soundproofing tips are also very welcome.

Also I know background noise is rarely a problem especially when the drums, amps etc are in a separate room, but things like room mics during drum recording just might catch some of it causing problems.

Sorry if I'm being unclear about my problem :)

Many smaller/home/project studios opt for the "one room" approach....and it's not a problem.

You set up, run a couple of test passes...listen to them on the monitors...make some adjustments...then use headphones during the actual tracking.
Leave the doors wide open so you can easily move back and forth between the rooms.

Also, without soundproofing between the rooms...it's easier to listen with the headphones, otherwise, you will be hearing both monitors and the sounds from the other room...and also your monitors will be heard in the other room.
There is no such thing as cheap soundproofing...and soundproofing is best done when the rooms are being built.

Cut the bottom of the door so the cables go underneath, then put a draft seal on the door that will seal the cables when the door is closed, not perfect but helps

Alan.

Back