Having lots and lots of trouble figuring out how to hang clouds.

NashBackslash

I have built several clouds, 2' x 4', 2" thick and framed. I chose to have them framed because it looks a lot nicer with frames, and I just couldn't figure out how to build unframed clouds in the first place.

As far as the weight of these clouds go, it's not a problem. They're pretty light.

My ceiling is the drop ceiling t-bar kind. I am absolutely clueless on how am I going to hang these. I have scoured the internet for days for information but I'm just not getting the information I need.

The other day, I thought of installing hooks into the 4 corners of the clouds (which is easy because they are framed), and then installing another set of hooks on the ceiling. But I couldn't figure out how to accurately place the hooks on the ceiling. It was just too difficult. I tried everything... place the cloud on the floor with the hooked side up, then pulling a measuring tape from the cloud to the ceiling... it was all over the place. I also tried using a long ruler... still no good. :(

I would really appreciate any help and advice I can get here. This problem has stumped me for days. I've got 10 clouds that are just sitting there doing nothing because I don't know how to hang them on my ceiling. =(

NashBackslash said:
My ceiling is the drop ceiling t-bar kind. I am absolutely clueless on how am I going to hang these. I have scoured the internet for days for information but I'm just not getting the information I need.

Drop ceilings are usually framed 2x4 or 2x2. Remove some tiles, and replace with the fiberglass. You might need to remove the frames you built!

If you want to retain the frames and hang down from the drop ceiling, attach four eyebolts through the ceiling tile with toggle bolts, and hang a wire or chain to eyehooks screwed into the corner of the frame on the panel.

If you are just trying to align the hooks to the ceiling, try this...screw your 4 hooks into the corners of the cloud. Then take something like cake icing or toothpaste (something that will rub off onto another surface) and put on the tops of the hooks. Press the cloud (hook side up) against the ceiling and see where the toothpaste/icing/whatever left marks. Voila, alignment.

Personally, I think you're situation may require more than this, unless your clouds are really light, but you can always try it and see. Don't be afraid to pop a couple of the ceiling tiles up and out of the way to see what else the dropped grid system is attached to, either. There is solid structural framing up there somewhere and vertical drops that support the hanging metal grid for the tiles. :)

I'm planning on using 4 hooks and putting picture wire between the hooks, leaving room to rest the clouds on top of the picture wire with a 2-4" gap between the cloud and the ceiling.

Does using MS Paint make anyone else feel like a retarded grade-schooler? ;)

Attachments

• ceiling cloud.JPG
    ceiling cloud.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 139
Thanks for your replies, everyone.

But Seeker of Rock's answer seems to be the best solution. My main problem is all about alignment.

Just re-read and considered what mshilarious said. Replacing some of the tiles does sound like a good alternative... but is it safe? I have a lot of wires on top of the ceiling tiles so I'm just a little concerned with that.

Also... just a thought. Would eventually replacing every ceiling tile with fiberglass be overkill? o_O

The weight of 703 should be lighter than cellulos panels, so you should be good if you plan to use 703 instead of ceiling tiles in the grid. If you're going to use wiring through the ceiling tiles and hang the 703 panels , should be good, but yeah the alignment of throught the ceiling tiles would be a PITA.

I say use the 703 instead of the ceiling tiles. Heck roll some fluffy above it too!! Instant bass traps up there woo hoo!!

NashBackslash said:
Just re-read and considered what mshilarious said. Replacing some of the tiles does sound like a good alternative... but is it safe? I have a lot of wires on top of the ceiling tiles so I'm just a little concerned with that.

Also... just a thought. Would eventually replacing every ceiling tile with fiberglass be overkill? o_O

Wires in houses run against insulation, so it shouldn't be anything unusual. They're insulated with a sheathing, of course...kind of like an audio snake...individual wires have a protective sheathing, then you have a "master" outer layer to protect all of the individually insulated wires. If you really feel uncomfortable about it, you could use strap ties and suspend the wires above the fiberglass so they don't touch. If you can do fiberglass panels instead of the ceiling tiles, that would be one tame ceiling which is a really good thing!!

Fiberglass 703 panels are exactly what we put in our drop ceiling/clouds. The clouds cover about 80% of the ceiling and we chose a 2x2 configuration. The 703 was cut to size using a table saw and then a border was cut using a dado blade so that the tiles dropped a little lower below the drop ceiling frames (I think they call this tegularized border?). Anyway, we fabric wrapped our panels too.

Here is a pic. Not the best perspective but you get an idea of the end result. I'll see if I have a different photo that shows the ceiling mo' better:

Img_2223.jpg

As for the original question what you need is a plumb bob.

And yes there is no problem with insulated wires against fiberglass insulation. you would have more cocern if the insulation was flush against anything that might get too hot as a result of the additional thermal insulation, like a recessed lighting fixture.

lunatic said:
Fiberglass 703 panels are exactly what we put in our drop ceiling/clouds. The clouds cover about 80% of the ceiling and we chose a 2x2 configuration. The 703 was cut to size using a table saw and then a border was cut using a dado blade so that the tiles dropped a little lower below the drop ceiling frames (I think they call this tegularized border?). Anyway, we fabric wrapped our panels too.

Here is a pic. Not the best perspective but you get an idea of the end result. I'll see if I have a different photo that shows the ceiling mo' better:

Img_2223.jpg
Good stuff..wow.

I would like to see your diffusors close up. Is your staircase section boards together or seperate? What type of wood is that? I have some ceader boards. Plained or rough?

Thanks guys! I wish I could claim resposibility for the design but no... we hired a designer.

To answer some questions...

The diffusor/absorber wall is a wall in front of the exterior wall. It is filled with 2" 703 equivalent and cover in Guilford. Then, we saned the bugeezus out of Cypress planks, ripped them with a table saw to size, and then installed.

I don't want to hijack this thread though so shoot me an e-mail to brad AT evergroove DOT com and I'll get some photos going. Or, if you'd rather, I can start a thread.

We now return you to your thread in progress...

Last edited:
Back