Have you ever stepped into an anechoic chamber?

bluesfordan

Years ago, when I was taking studio production courses at Hesser College in Manchester NH, I wrote a paper on Earthworks Audio. I interviewed with Mr Blackmer, who was gracious enough to take me on a tour of the facilities.

On the tour, we looked at the anechoic chamber where they test the designs. I was allowed to go into the chamber. It was a very eerie sensation. It was as if I had left the dimension we reside in and was stuck in some interstitial zone. I actually became physically disoriented and almost stumbled. I didn't stay in very long, just a few seconds and it was a relief to get back out.

Apparently it was not an unusual reaction for the uninitiated. I like peace and quiet, but the utter absence of ambient sound was disconcerting to say the least.

It is pretty cool to have a world class audio company practically in my backyard.

I've never been in an anechoic chamber, but I have been deep inside Mammoth Cave in some of the smaller passages where there is no sound other than your own breathing. Turning off your headlamp plunges you into a REALLY dark quiet hole! When you're a few hundred feet underground, there's no sound at all.

I thought the sickness thing was just me! Years ago on a trip to the Sennheiser factory - The test mics were mounted on a sort of wire mesh platform above the absorbant floor, and just standing there was so odd - I've never experienced 'nothing' before - so I know exactly that horrible feeling. It would be a good torture method I think. Two or three minutes was enough for me!!

Imagine an anechoic chamber in space? Nobody can hear you scream, you're not even sure if you're making sound either :eek:

Back