Have space in garage for a home studio need help dividing it up!!

mitmoc

Alright just got space in the garage but don't know enough about room dimensions for recording and tracking to divide up the space. I have 8' high ceilings x 22 1/2 ' length x 9' width. And i'm most concerned about getting a good control room dimension, i'll be doing a lot more mixing then tracking. I still would want to be able to cut drums and guitars so i was thinking making the room in 2 halfs with 11' 4'' x 7' , i read up an equation to follow is 1 high by 1.6 deep by 2.6 wide, they made thier control room with those dimensions. Any help would be great, right now i'm working on the space layout then constructing the rooms, then treating the rooms. Thanks!

mitmoc said:
Alright just got space in the garage but don't know enough about room dimensions for recording and tracking to divide up the space. I have 8' high ceilings x 22 1/2 ' length x 9' width. And i'm most concerned about getting a good control room dimension, i'll be doing a lot more mixing then tracking. I still would want to be able to cut drums and guitars so i was thinking making the room in 2 halfs with 11' 4'' x 7' , i read up an equation to follow is 1 high by 1.6 deep by 2.6 wide, they made thier control room with those dimensions. Any help would be great, right now i'm working on the space layout then constructing the rooms, then treating the rooms. Thanks!
You want your control room to be longer than it is wide, so the speakers are firing down the longest distance. As far as i know, and i only heard this recently. You want the dimentions to increase like 8'x9'x10'. Don't trust me on this though... Maybe you could lower the ceiling to 7' and have 7'x9'x11', but i don't know how the lower ceiling will affect.

The 1:1.6 ratio is good to follow but your rooms will end up pretty small. I would just build some gobos (dividers) to block out the drums or amps when you need to.

Back