Hanging thick blankets.

Grail_72

Hi. I have been recording in my home studio for a little over a year now, I have been looking at getting Auralex foam to help boost the sound of my recordings, but I was wondering, if I use some thick moving blankets would this cut out the brightness and sound reflections I am currently experiencing? I usually notice this in my drum tracks, not that I am dissappointed in them, but I would like to get a better recording on them.
I was told this would be a good and inexpensive way to do this, by hanging blankets around the "source" I am recording. Does anyone have any experience with this??

Oh, here is a pic of my studio.
https://photobucket.com/albums/v209/Grail_72/

It could help. However first I would move the drums a couple of feet out from that corner. Your overhead mic is closer to the ceiling than to several of the drums, which could be giving you some screwy reflections.

Also I notice your monitors are not at the same level. You need to fix that.

I agree with MS......... try moving the drums 1st.......

Depending on how much help you need - the blanket's might help if you only need a little bit of acoustic treatment - they won't help a lot.

BUT - if you use blankets be certain to pick up some fabric fire-retardant and treat them so they won't sustain a fire.

Rod

TimOBrien said:
$10 from Harbor Freight (I picked up several for $8 on sale at one of their local stores)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46115

Damn!!! that is a Deal! I was looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3278&item=3777774188&rd=1

but yeah blankets will change the sound noticably; although they won't really "proof" anything. try recording a vocal track with and without a blanket behind the mic and the difference is huge. my question is: why are you not happy with a "bright" drum sound?

hi

i see so many problems number one is he has NO HOLE in his kickdrum (not it)but the kick will sound so amazing after its has a hole TWO u shouldn't use one mic for both toms and 3 like everyone says ur in a corner

termipa said:
i see so many problems number one is he has NO HOLE in his kickdrum (not it)but the kick will sound so amazing after its has a hole TWO u shouldn't use one mic for both toms and 3 like everyone says ur in a corner

#1, a hole in the kick is not absolutely necessary just fairly common
#2 Who (besides you) says you can't use 1 mic for both mounted toms.
#3 Probably should get out of the corner.

I think he's sorted things out by now...this thread is from 2005. :D ;)

It's OK...sometimes people miss the last active date of threads...and unintentionally resurrect an old one.

Damn! I missed out on a blanket thread and I have data. :(

Although this looks suspiciously like a marketing ploy of some kind. Do a search (or have AI do it for you) and post a reply showing your product.

Maybe I'm just a paranoid cynic, though. It happens.

Hell, old thread or not, could have used some thick blankets to throw over that one long ass thread. :D

Hell, old thread or not, could have used some thick blankets to throw over that one long ass thread. :D

I don't think they'd work on the low frequency sound where all the grumbling takes place. They might put a damper on some of the high pitched winning, though. :laughings:

Back