Hanging Bass Traps

Criz

Hi, new here. I'm hoping I can get confirmation or correction on my plans for hanging bass traps today. I have 9 4" thick 2'x4' panels being hung in an 11'x12' room.

I, unfortunately, can't post images yet but the room has a large window centered on one of the 11ft walls (my desk is located here) and behind that, there is a 3.5ft opening to a bathroom area located at around 3/4 of the back wall. This is for the moment needing to double as a guest bedroom so there is a bed in the back left corner as well.

I have had two different plans for this so far. While at home I plan to track and mix in this room.

Plan 1: Single traps in all 4 corners flush against the ceiling. One of the corners has an AC vent and will have to be lowered by about 11". Then panels on the left & right first reflection points. Followed by those a center ceiling corner trap & cloud. Lastly, the remaining panel on the larger portion of the back wall. I have a gobo for the bathroom opening.

Plan 2: Floor to ceiling bass traps in the front corners (4 panels). They actually fit perfectly stacked. Then panels on the left & right first reflection points. Followed by those a center ceiling corner trap & cloud. Lastly, I'm hoping the bed in the back left corner can act somewhat like a bass trap & the final panel would be on the floor in the back right corner. The reason for the floor would be an attempt at symmetry & to not block my precious AC vent (I live in AZ).

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. It's my first time attempting to apply acoustic treatment to a room. ?

TBH...for a room that size, it's really not going to be super critical where you place the traps.

I mean...if a trap on the back wall is a little to the left, or a bit up/down from some "ideal" position...it's just not going to matter much...
...so just place them where you can, and yes, I would probably pace more on the back and side walls to take the direct hits... but also a couple on the front wall/corners...and then something on the ceiling.

Your speaker position will also make some difference...like right up against the wall or a bit away from the wall...etc. If they are no rear-ported, you might find that in a room that size, against the wall is best...but sometimes just moving them a few inches forward can make a difference *at the listening position*...though it probably won't make much difference in the room as a whole, because it's not a very big room.

Make do...but understand that it's a tough room size for getting a good, balanced frequency response.

Thanks very much for the quick response miroslav. The monitors I'm using in this room are front ported. I'm glad to know that the corner bass trap placements exact location will not make a dramatic difference as this room for the moment is dual purpose. Yeah, definitely not an ideal room. Thanks again!

If an open doorway acts like a bass trap should I forgo the gobo partially blocking the opening to the bathroom?

I've noticed that quite a bit of bass builds up in there but for the sake of symmetry I do plan to put a bass trap on the larger portion of the back wall. I suppose that will be pretty easy to test haha. Thanks for the response!

I think only two more posts and you can post an image. That would be very helpful for giving further advice than the stuff you have gotten already.

Just post some gibberish here til you can post a pic. I'll delete the gib after. :)

Back