Greetings & Plans

Speaking of plumbing things - eye any pipes running through those open ceiling/floor joists suspiciously. Folks turning on taps, sending stuff down drains and similar creates a heckuva racket and it's something you probably can't control except to avoid completely that part of the basement if possible, or insulate a lot and hope the upstairs biorhythms don't ruin the perfect take...

YES! I like it. If I can balance the need for an even frequency distribution (and cost) with enough space to track drums in within the recording/control space, then I can always just turn down amps or go DI for any guitar tracks and those musicians can lounge in the Lounge with some isolation treatments. (-:
I like your idea of the separate sub panel for the space. I am planning on splurging for a proper electrician who knows what they are doing... ‘cuz I sure don’t!
There will indeed be a ‘throne room’ downstairs (-:
Cheers n blessings,
G

You're lucky as hell to have this space and the possibilities are endless to get a real studio here. I'd say on a 10k budget it's more than reasonable to expect a good tracking room and a good control room. Personally , i wouldn't use iso rooms . You can use isolation features within the tracking room to reduce bleed from other instruments. Angled walls and build your own traps would probably reduce your budget. One thing i would concentrate on is your electric outlets and lighting. Make sure are each on its own dedicated circuits. YOU SHOULD build a sub panel just for the recording/tracking space.Oh, and have a toilet somewhere so no one has to use to house.

sorry I missed this yesterday Keith! Good call on keeping an eye out on the plumbing! That was one of the factors that I like about this particular part of the basement: it's fairly isolated from drain pipes. There are two overhead air ducts and some water supply lines (hopefully quieter than drains...?), which I'll have to isolate, but as far as I can tell it's the best part of the basement.
thanks!
G

Speaking of plumbing things - eye any pipes running through those open ceiling/floor joists suspiciously. Folks turning on taps, sending stuff down drains and similar creates a heckuva racket and it's something you probably can't control except to avoid completely that part of the basement if possible, or insulate a lot and hope the upstairs biorhythms don't ruin the perfect take...

Back