Great Stuff

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
You know the stuff. Great stuff. That spray insulation stuff that you spray around window AC's and such. I need to "stuff" the holes along the cieling in my practice/tracking room. It's an aluminum shed, panels and channels, I need to fill in the open space that the channels leave when the walls and cieling join (open to the cold night air no less!) I was thinking I'd get the Great Stuff, but this may be kind of expensive, I will be filling a lot of holes, every foot or so in a 24' x 40' space. I may just get a can or two and see how far it goes. Stuffing insulation in the holes would be cheaper probably, but cutting up insulation dosent seem worth it. Ecch! So I was trying to think of other materials I could use, but nothing's come to mind. Maybe make some nice ewey gooey paper mache'... he he (NO)

After I do this, I hope I can keep some heat in this place, I may be getting a wood stove to put in here, those things kick out some heat once you get them going... nice and cozy too. Ahhh... thinking how nice it would be to be warm....

-jhe

I've used shitloads of the "stuff". I can't even count how many cans. I actually have a can left because I was buying it like crack for a while. :)
I ruined a couple sweatshirts too. It's sticky stuff, a little tough to control at first ... but it works great. Even though it can be a little messy if it get's away from you ... I'd prefer using it instead of stuffing fiberglass insulation.

I used it around the door jam, but did this after I installed the door. I also didn't close the door after I was done spraying and came back when it dried to find the frame had been moved almost 1/4" in some places! I couldn't close the damn door and had to plane it down to fit! I barely made it without having to pull it all out and start over. Lessons learned, I guess. Maybe I used too much... or maybe it worked a little too well... :)

This can doesn't say how much it covers, but a little goes a long way. Unless you're filling really big cavities, in which case I'd probably use fiberglass.

Thats the problem with that great stuff. If you buy the kind that doesn't expand so much, it gets crumbly and falls apart soon after it dries. As Kahuna's experience would confirm, the ulta expanding kind could conceivably pull the fasteners right out of your tin roof if you're not careful. In fact the warning on the can says "this will severely fuck up most things with which it comes in contact." Imagine a brisk wind blowing the roof right off your space in the dead of winter. But then you could say rock-n-roll did it. Chicks would dig that.

Yeah - it's pretty heavy stuff. It will lift the roof off :eek: Why not get some dacron based insulation, you know, the stuff they make lounge suites out of.
cheers
john :)

shit i nearly wrote chers, not likely :D

Back