Gobos, Movable vocal "booths" have you seen/tried these or comparable?

Gtoboy

Just stumbled across this website Vocal Booths and Gobos (movable acoustic panels) - GIK Acoustics and I am thinking of picking up either some gobos or movable vocal booth or some combintation. I dont have time to build my own and TBH my room sounds pretty good as is, but I just bought a really sensitive tube mic that I want to be able to get more isolation/less room sound on at times. So usually just use packing blankets, but i've got some cash and thinking about upgrading a bit. Anybody used something like this, or have any info on this company quality/value wise?

Just stumbled across this website Vocal Booths and Gobos (movable acoustic panels) - GIK Acoustics and I am thinking of picking up either some gobos or movable vocal booth or some combintation. I dont have time to build my own and TBH my room sounds pretty good as is, but I just bought a really sensitive tube mic that I want to be able to get more isolation/less room sound on at times. So usually just use packing blankets, but i've got some cash and thinking about upgrading a bit. Anybody used something like this, or have any info on this company quality/value wise?

They should help. SOME.

Check reviews. Make sure they will do what you need.

I have seen some vocal booth types that looked like they would work better.

Not sure about audio gobos, only those used for video.
If you have reflection issues then they might help a lot, or not so much.

Do you have a problem identified that you are solving? Or are you just spending money hoping it would help?

Anybody used something like this, or have any info on this company quality/value wise?

From everything I read, GIK has an excellent reputation. They also provide free consultation and advice. Their production time is a little slow on custom orders, but they seem fairly helpful. I wouldn't hesitate ordering from them.

Don't answer! It's a trap. :D

:laughings: :thumbs up:

It's all about the money...isn't it. :D

So yeah...the GIK vocal "booth" thing doesn't look all that hot, I mean, if you want to just screen off the mic from side/back noises, you could probably just use one of the smaller mic screens. I have one that I will put up in the summer months when my studio AC is going, and if/when I'm kinda facing the direction of the air vent. It's a very quiet airflow, but I just put up the screen about a foot away (I don't like to "wrap" the mic with it.

The gobos I'm curious about. They seem kinda "light" to me for gobos, but it's cool that the can fold up and go all the way down to the floor, without wheels...though most studio gobos have wheels because they tend to be pretty hefty.
I guess it's all about the amount of isolation you want/need...

...or just because you feel like spending more money! ;) :p

I was anticipating having to build some solid gobos once I get my new studio done...and I don't mind going that route. I may opt to build all the acoustic traps for the new studio...but the ready-made GIK stuff is a pretty decent way to go if you don't have the time.
When I was building my mega bass traps...I talked to them, and for the specific size I wanted and all-around cloth covering (not just the front face)...it was going to be a lot more than me building them, and mine are probably twice as hefty as their big bass trap.

Are you planning to get some of the gobos from GIK?

:laughings: :thumbs up:

It's all about the money...isn't it. :D

So yeah...the GIK vocal "booth" thing doesn't look all that hot, I mean, if you want to just screen off the mic from side/back noises, you could probably just use one of the smaller mic screens. I have one that I will put up in the summer months when my studio AC is going, and if/when I'm kinda facing the direction of the air vent. It's a very quiet airflow, but I just put up the screen about a foot away (I don't like to "wrap" the mic with it.

The gobos I'm curious about. They seem kinda "light" to me for gobos, but it's cool that the can fold up and go all the way down to the floor, without wheels...though most studio gobos have wheels because they tend to be pretty hefty.
I guess it's all about the amount of isolation you want/need...

...or just because you feel like spending more money! ;) :p

I was anticipating having to build some solid gobos once I get my new studio done...and I don't mind going that route. I may opt to build all the acoustic traps for the new studio...but the ready-made GIK stuff is a pretty decent way to go if you don't have the time.
When I was building my mega bass traps...I talked to them, and for the specific size I wanted and all-around cloth covering (not just the front face)...it was going to be a lot more than me building them, and mine are probably twice as hefty as their big bass trap.

Are you planning to get some of the gobos from GIK?

indeed

they did not look like they would do much sound blocking

more like a dressing room divider for privacy than any sound absorbtion

No surprise you already came to an absolute conclusion purely from looking at the pictures...kinda the same as you do about other audio gear.

What kind of trapping and gobos do you use...or do you just hang a blanket because you think it's just as good?

I have my doubts about vocal isolation in general, especially the foam ones that wrap around a mic stand. From the "tests" I've seem on YouthLube, they don't have much impact. And, in some cases, seem to make matters worse.

On the other hand, it's hard to believe that GIK would be pulling a fast one here. They seem to be dedicated to testing new materials and designs and developing exacting products for specific professional needs. I guess the question is do you really need something this specific? Does it really solve an important issue? Is your live room too lively or not working for vocals? And do you need the opposite side to provide a mix of absorption and reflection? Does that make a major difference, because it looks like you're paying for the veneer with CNC holes. :d

No surprise you already came to an absolute conclusion purely from looking at the pictures...kinda the same as you do about other audio gear.

What kind of trapping and gobos do you use...or do you just hang a blanket because you think it's just as good?

You keep proving that you are basically a bully with such comments.

You still need to prove your claims that your choice in gear is the best there is and everything else is crap.

I dont need more than pictures when I have seen/heard what such things do or rather do not do.

And the most critical question: Is the model included? She reminds me of Lisa Cuddy from the old House series. :D

Attachments

• GIK girl.jpg
    GIK girl.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 7
I use 2 of GIK's acoustic screens in my studio room. I love them. They're about 6' tall, 2" thick, and 36" wide when unfolded. I deploy them when I'm recording anything with a mic, and they make a great first reflection point absorber behind me when I'm mixing. Then they fold up and sit along the wall, out of the way when I'm not using them. Other than the rather high cost, I can't complain about them at all. They're very effective at drying up a room's acoustics since they have so much surface area when unfolded.

You keep proving that you are basically a bully with such comments.

You still need to prove your claims that your choice in gear is the best there is and everything else is crap.

I dont need more than pictures when I have seen/heard what such things do or rather do not do.

Oh please just STFU already with your nonsense.
It's bad enough you started your own poll/thread just so you could troll it...but now you're coming to other threads and doing the same thing.
No one is bullying you...you're just being ignorant of hands-on reality, and when people point it out, you call it "bullying" and "put downs".
You are obviously not all that actively involved with recording and with any kind of even semi-serious studio setup...so stop acting like you know it all, when you really don't.

:rolleyes:

I use 2 of GIK's acoustic screens in my studio room. I love them. They're about 6' tall, 2" thick, and 36" wide when unfolded. I deploy them when I'm recording anything with a mic, and they make a great first reflection point absorber behind me when I'm mixing. Then they fold up and sit along the wall, out of the way when I'm not using them. Other than the rather high cost, I can't complain about them at all. They're very effective at drying up a room's acoustics since they have so much surface area when unfolded.

Are you talking about the vocal screens (the ones with the hot chick :p)...or their gobos?

The vocal screens are not meant to be as isolating as gobos, rather just to kill the outside reflections and minor noises.
I'm curious how effective their new gobos are?
They look light for what I seen of other gobos, but I'm sure they are more effective for isolation than the vocal screens, and probably OK for "medium" isolation.
I would like some that are lighter and do "medium" like those, since they would be less obtrusive and cumbersome...but I think also at least a couple that are heavy duty, like 6"-8" thick, with a hard outside and soft inside for when you need to isolate a drum kit or loud amp...but I plan to have a couple of good size booths as part of my new build, which will give the best isolation, though they won't be drum kit size (something like 5' x10' 8').

When I built my mega bass traps, I also intended to use them for gobo-like situations, since they are 7" (well, 6" of insulation) thick, and one side has the reflective FRK layer and the other is soft...but I wouldn't call them heavy duty gobos.

As i originally stated in the first post-i am not trying to solve any problems. I have a large tracking area that sounds good and is not excessively "live". I have some gobos already but they are about 3 1/2 feet high and are mostly used when recording multiple instrument to reduce the guitar in the snare type of thing. Sometimes, however, i am recording something that i want a little "drier" and in such cases i've been using packing blankets which have been working just fine thanks. I just stumbled across this companies web ad and went to look , and the tall gobos especially, looked like something that would be as effective as blankets at reducing ambiance slightly when desired while also looking better and being easier to set up than blankets. I have a regular vocal sound thing and clouds so no, i am not trying to solve anything, more just checking the quality and business, so thanks all.

...i am not trying to solve anything, more just checking the quality and business, so thanks all.

Yes, post back if you get more info on the GIK gobos (I guess I should just go to their site and do some reading :) ), and I know what you mean about using them more for some control as opposed to an isolation problem.

Did you build your 3 1/2' gobos, or were they bought? I would be interested in info on either. That's what I also will be looking for, some lower size gobos too, just to break things up a bit when you have more than one person in the same space, but you want to allow a decent amount of bleed too.

Which one did you get?
I've got some new ones too.

Built the gobos out of scrap lumber picked up when the subdivision was being built. Just 3/4 Inch plywood with good ol pink insulation stapled on one side(i left the back uncovered for reflective option). I had to toss my old couch when i built this house so it just so happened i had all this good fabric on the back of it which i cut off an stapled on the front over the insulation. It's heavy fabric so it probably reduces some of the highs just by itself. I tilted them at about a 20 deg angle ceiling-ward so that any reflections would do less comb filtering at the mic(usually guitar or bass amp mic). I have 10 foot ceilings upstairs where I put together my studio so i wasn't too worried about slap. I'll never sound as good as Ocean Way or anything but i haven't had any real issues in the tracking area. I did have to put clouds in the mix room but it's a fairly small converted bedroom. The past couple of months I've been picking up deals: Jan, MIM Strat, Feb Danelectro 12 string electric, last month Telefunken AK47 MKII-factory refurbished with a two year warranty. The doc's that it came with noted that it is a sensitive mic but after I warmed it up and backing down the gain, and backing down again and again I realized they weren't jivin', this is a very sensitive mic. I haven't had a chance to record with it yet, just experimented with it with a Taylor 410ce and some BV but so far so good . My tracking room is about the size you are planning to add(it is basically half of the whole upstairs) but the architecture created lots of non square areas and ceiling so i don't have real need for bass traps(again, mix/control room another story). The only two corners i really have i put a bookshelf full of books across one and i just stuck the bass cabs and amps in the other figuring it would just reinforce or create an obvious null that i could use. I have two drum sets on one end and amplifiers on the other end pointed at each other so that mics are aimed away from each other and the guest bedroom plus closets for Iso/ small room type sound. I thought about going Neumann M149 but i couldn't justify the extra cash so the Telefunken was a perfect find for me.

Oh please just STFU already with your nonsense.
It's bad enough you started your own poll/thread just so you could troll it...but now you're coming to other threads and doing the same thing.
No one is bullying you...you're just being ignorant of hands-on reality, and when people point it out, you call it "bullying" and "put downs".
You are obviously not all that actively involved with recording and with any kind of even semi-serious studio setup...so stop acting like you know it all, when you really don't.

Are you talking about the vocal screens (the ones with the hot chick :p)...or their gobos?

The vocal screens are not meant to be as isolating as gobos, rather just to kill the outside reflections and minor noises.
I'm curious how effective their new gobos are?
They look light for what I seen of other gobos, but I'm sure they are more effective for isolation than the vocal screens, and probably OK for "medium" isolation.
I would like some that are lighter and do "medium" like those, since they would be less obtrusive and cumbersome...but I think also at least a couple that are heavy duty, like 6"-8" thick, with a hard outside and soft inside for when you need to isolate a drum kit or loud amp...but I plan to have a couple of good size booths as part of my new build, which will give the best isolation, though they won't be drum kit size (something like 5' x10' 8').

When I built my mega bass traps, I also intended to use them for gobo-like situations, since they are 7" (well, 6" of insulation) thick, and one side has the reflective FRK layer and the other is soft...but I wouldn't call them heavy duty gobos.

Keep lying over and over and some people may believe you.
You make claims about gear but refuse to back your claims up.
Prove that any gear is better and tell us how you prove it.

You ARE a bully. And you keep on proving it with your posts.

You may like some gear better or it may cost more so you can feel superior when you buy it and others cant but that does not make it sound any better. You need to PROVE your claims or stop with your comments about me.

You have no idea how involved I am so you go making up lies about what you wish were true to try to support your attacks.

But that is what bullies do. It is their go to strategy to try to save face when they get called out telling lies.

PROVE your claims about your gear being so much better or you STFU.

What was that right before your post....?...oh, nothing important, just some more insignificant background noise.

The past couple of months I've been picking up deals: Jan, MIM Strat, Feb Danelectro 12 string electric, last month Telefunken AK47 MKII-factory refurbished with a two year warranty. The doc's that it came with noted that it is a sensitive mic but after I warmed it up and backing down the gain, and backing down again and again I realized they weren't jivin', this is a very sensitive mic. I haven't had a chance to record with it yet, just experimented with it with a Taylor 410ce and some BV but so far so good. My tracking room is about the size you are planning to add(it is basically half of the whole upstairs) but the architecture created lots of non square areas and ceiling so i don't have real need for bass traps(again, mix/control room another story).

OK...let's ignore the noise and get back to the discussion.

Yeah, I've been picking up deals the last couple of months. I scored three ADK Custom Shop tube mics for a fraction of their price. They were NOS from a former ADK dealer who was just looking to unload...so I tossed them a price for all three, and they went for it. :)
Because they've been laying in their boxes for a long time, I sent them to the ADK CS to give them a check, and they wanted to actually swap some of the components out for me because they've changed what they were using back then, so I should get back 3 fully current upgraded mics.
Two were of the 47 flavor and one a 67...but I'm also having them change one of the 47 mics to their 49...so I'll have a 47, 49 and 67 flavor.
I've got some other ADK mics...they make some nice stuff.

I don't know if you ever posted any pics of your studio...but I would love to see what you have set up.
So you have a dedicated control room out of a converted bedroom space, and the big tracking/live room is next to that...?

I thought about the control room thing many times, but from the advice I got, to get a good mix room, there was a certain total volume (as in space) that was suggested before it would be great for mixing and not need wall-to-wall trapping...so I decided to let this whole space be viewed as mixing room (the guy said it was about as close to perfect volume/dimensions, and would not need much)...and then the tracking would just take place there to.
I find that for tracking you can get away with a lot more room wise than you can when mixing...so it will work out fine, I just have to use headphones if/when tracking other people, but then, I have to use them anyway when I'm just doing my own, solo tracking...so no big deal, just some added playback time to check the tracks through the monitors.
Speaking of which...they are going to be on my list too to possibly upgrade. I just got the Focal Twin6 a couple of years ago, but I think this new bigger space will need something else, or in addition to. Not sure what...I'll probably wait until the build is done and I can hear the Twin6 monitors...they may work OK, but I really do want speakers that I can open up a bit when desired and fill the room nicely.

So are you doing a lot of outside...or mostly your stuff?

Back