Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gobos, Movable vocal "booths" have you seen/tried these or comparable?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Oh yes!
    Now I remember...the Christmas lights around the room.
    Yeah, that's a nice space for sure.

I didn't quite get what you meant...you work 30 miles form home makes it hard for people to come to the studio..?
    Is this studio in your home, and you mean there just aren't too many musicians close enough to you that you know to have over?

I'm not in any way doing my studio build for any potential clients (well, I'm the main client )...but when it's done, I will see how it all comes out and consider my options.
    It's one thing having some friends over to cut some tracks...but when it gets to any kind of "biz" level, people have to be careful. I mean, if you just have "paying clients" who are not you friends, but just people paying you to record...all kinds of liability and insurances issues come up, not to mention whatever zoning/business rules your area has.
    I know a lot of home studios walk that line and keep things in the "gray", and nothing really happens...but if something happens, if there is an accident to any client or if there is damage to any gear, or if a neighbor complains, etc...you could have a real headache.
    So, if I were to go "commercial", I would want to sort out the zoning, get the proper approvals, file a DBA, and also get the additional insurance needed.
    I don't know how deep I will go into all that...but I'm sure I will at some point have some musician friends over to record, no different than having some people over for a jam session or any other social/recreational event.

As a private use studio...my homeowners covers it all. As a biz, it's a different story....and bottom line, I'm not doing this for the money. My studio doesn't depend on me making money off it to cover any studio expenses. Most bigger commercial studios run on heavy loans, because it takes a big investment to outfit a high-end commercial studio.

Though to tell the truth, the main reason I wouldn't go "commercial" is because I simply don't want anyone coming over just because the would pay.
    There are cool musicians...but man, there are also way too many headaches, people with unrealistic goals, and expecting you to do way more than what they are willing to pay...so it can be a headache long before the insurance/legal issues ever arise.
    Basically every musician friend or that I know lives in town close to where I work and I moved out of town to be able to afford this damn place

I feel exactly the same way about having strangers in- I've got that not liking random people messing with the equipment. But eventually I'll retire and then I will be home and be able to keep a hawks eye. So I may feel differently at that point.

Thanks for noticing the twinkle light-I felt they were necessary for the proper cheesy atmosphere. Besides they were like 59 cents a box at walgreens after Christmas.

So hopefully that's enough paragraphs for the playa haters. Prolly wont bother again though. Hey I'm a Celt, we dnt evn lk vwls. So it could be worse. I studied English very hard to be able to mangle it correctly.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Oh yes!
    Now I remember...the Christmas lights around the room.
    Yeah, that's a nice space for sure.

I didn't quite get what you meant...you work 30 miles form home makes it hard for people to come to the studio..?
    Is this studio in your home, and you mean there just aren't too many musicians close enough to you that you know to have over?

I'm not in any way doing my studio build for any potential clients (well, I'm the main client )...but when it's done, I will see how it all comes out and consider my options.
    It's one thing having some friends over to cut some tracks...but when it gets to any kind of "biz" level, people have to be careful. I mean, if you just have "paying clients" who are not you friends, but just people paying you to record...all kinds of liability and insurances issues come up, not to mention whatever zoning/business rules your area has.
    I know a lot of home studios walk that line and keep things in the "gray", and nothing really happens...but if something happens, if there is an accident to any client or if there is damage to any gear, or if a neighbor complains, etc...you could have a real headache.
    So, if I were to go "commercial", I would want to sort out the zoning, get the proper approvals, file a DBA, and also get the additional insurance needed.
    I don't know how deep I will go into all that...but I'm sure I will at some point have some musician friends over to record, no different than having some people over for a jam session or any other social/recreational event.

As a private use studio...my homeowners covers it all. As a biz, it's a different story....and bottom line, I'm not doing this for the money. My studio doesn't depend on me making money off it to cover any studio expenses. Most bigger commercial studios run on heavy loans, because it takes a big investment to outfit a high-end commercial studio.

Though to tell the truth, the main reason I wouldn't go "commercial" is because I simply don't want anyone coming over just because the would pay.
    There are cool musicians...but man, there are also way too many headaches, people with unrealistic goals, and expecting you to do way more than what they are willing to pay...so it can be a headache long before the insurance/legal issues ever arise.

Very wise strategy

In some states and or cities, just doing it for yourself is not enough as they will still declare you a business and stick you with regulations and taxes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    Hey I'm a Celt, we dnt evn lk vwls. So it could be worse. I studied English very hard to be able to mangle it correctly.

I just watched "Kill the Irishman" again last night...the story of Danny Green.
    He was big into the Celtic warrior stuff.
    Good movie.

Yeah, I'm well "out of town" ...though here there isn't such a defining line between in/out...shit just merges, but I'm a bit farther out into what I call rural residential.
    It's quiet...except for the occasional lawnmower or chainsaw from a neighbor.

Thanks

Good movie.

Yeah, I'm well "out of town" ...though here there isn't such a defining line between in/out...shit just merges, but I'm a bit farther out into what I call rural residential.
    It's quiet...except for the occasional lawnmower or chainsaw from a neighbor.
    I get coyotes howling. Usually when they steal one of the neighbors dogs for a late evening snack.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    I get coyotes howling. Usually when they steal one of the neighbors dogs for a late evening snack.
    Well, at least you can shoot those out there, right?
    I can't do much about a neighbor and his lawnmower!

Thanks
    Well, at least you can shoot those out there, right?
    I can't do much about a neighbor and his lawnmower!
    Yeah, even in Texas I might get a raised eyebrow for that.

Thanks
    Yeah, even in Texas I might get a raised eyebrow for that.
    I think the bigger issue with that in Texas is that the neighbors will probably shoot back!

What general part of Texas are you in? Born and raised or moved there?
    I know someone who just sold everything off here in NY to transplant to TX...I think somewhere south, below San Antonio. Said the house prices were so great there, and off he went.

Thanks
    It was good enough for James Joyce.
    You should just get teletype paper like Kerouac used, and then post your response in a stream of consciousness format. That will teach the young wiper snapper!

Thanks

Good movie.
    Oh yeah. Best Cleveland mob movie ever. Maybe the only Cleveland mob movie, but it's the best. And it's always my go to excuse for not going to the dentist.

Thanks
    I think the bigger issue with that in Texas is that the neighbors will probably shoot back!

What general part of Texas are you in? Born and raised or moved there?
    I know someone who just sold everything off here in NY to transplant to TX...I think somewhere south, below San Antonio. Said the house prices were so great there, and off he went.
    Born in Chicago, raised in the Seattle suburbs, moved to Houston at 17, stayed for a couple of years, wandered around Cali and the west coast for a couple of years and finally came back to Houston~ 1985 IIRC...Too much Traveler blood I guess.

But the couple of years i spent here originally i found that 9 months of summer was irresistible to me. Now its just Home. We had some close calls as far as flooding, but Dallas has tornadoes, just about every place has the possibility of some kind of disaster so I don't second guess it anymore. Besides, it took me a couple of years of work to get my studio set up as it is now and the idea of moving again purely terrifies me.

The price of land is considerably less than much of the country that would be comparable as far as coastal areas especially. My older sister just retired to Florida where her daughter lives mostly because she could no longer to afford to live in the Seattle area on a fixed income (property values basically quadrupled as Microsoft and Amazon grew), but now she's just enjoying not being stuck in snow during the winter.

I have a family of around 12 turkey buzzards that live in a nature preserve a 1/4 mile or so north of me and between them and the coyotes if there were any neighbor shooting going on i doubt there would be anything but teeth left after 24 hours

I have pretty much decided I'm going to get these 2" deep gobos. The 4" deep are only 50 usd more for the pair but, i just dont think i need them that thick. And I can always get one or two later , right?

Thread Information