Gobos, Movable vocal "booths" have you seen/tried these or comparable?

I keep looking at the GIK site--mostly because of the model. But I don't see any data on the actual effect of the screen. They say it operates down to 150hz. But I'm unclear what that means in terms of absorption. It's just a two inch panel. So lacking some other kind of structure (like a membrane) how much will it actually absorb? Even a thick moving blanket will absorb that low. Not much but some.
This is a little odd for GIK because they almost always post independent test results.

The other thing I can't get past is their insistence on calling it a "booth" and an "isolation" booth at that.
It limits reflections on the absorption side, but as far as I can see it's not a booth. I also can't imagine that it has significant isolation properties. It will reflect some sound on the back side but that's hardly isolation.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong fire hydrant, but this just seems sloppy to me. Especially, for these guys.

NOTE: ATTACHMENT IS BLANKET DATA

Attachments

• Blankets.jpg
    Blankets.jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 6
I take that back. It is a booth if you buy four of them and put a lid on it. :D That would only cost about $1300. Of course, that is pretty cheap compared to the skyrocketing costs of most top level vocal booths.

I keep looking at the GIK site--mostly because of the model. But I don't see any data on the actual effect of the screen. They say it operates down to 150hz. But I'm unclear what that means in terms of absorption. It's just a two inch panel. So lacking some other kind of structure (like a membrane) how much will it actually absorb? Even a thick moving blanket will absorb that low. Not much but some.
This is a little odd for GIK because they almost always post independent test results.

Yeah it seems like the gobos are basically just free standing covered rockwool or equivalent. But since I'm not really looking for isolation, I'm okay with just damping some high frequency ambience. I can always low pass any unwanted bass/sub bass.

Yeah it seems like the gobos are basically just free standing covered rockwool or equivalent. But since I'm not really looking for isolation, I'm okay with just damping some high frequency ambience. I can always low pass any unwanted bass/sub bass.

The free standing bass trap is only free standing if some idiot can sit (or stand) on it with his Les Paul. I think they become chairs in a lot of studios. :D

Yeah, I've been picking up deals the last couple of months. I scored three ADK Custom Shop tube mics for a fraction of their price. They were NOS from a former ADK dealer who was just looking to unload...so I tossed them a price for all three, and they went for it...I don't know if you ever posted any pics of your studio...but I would love to see what you have set up.
So you have a dedicated control room out of a converted bedroom space, and the big tracking/live room is next to that...?

So ADK I've looked at a few times and I have heard good things but never heard the mics themselves. I was considering those also, along with the Miktec CV4.Sounds like you got an awesome deal there, I'm totally jelly.:) Some older pics of my setup @ let me see your studio! post #4425. I have since added the clouds and acoustic foam on the wall behind the monitors. The tracking area consists of one side of the second floor, the other side is two bedrooms, bathroom and stairway to the first floor(which turns out to be excellent for micing ambiance!). You will note that the ceiling to wall is 90 degrees in only a couple of spots so that's cool. And the drums sit under a sort of alcove that projects the sound out and down which makes for better room sound. I have one set a leeetle close to the wall so I am careful where the high hat spot mic is aimed, though there is also acoustic foam on that wall. I know foam aint the best way to go necessarily but it is really only being used for it's intended purpose-reduce high frequency slap and flutter. The room is ~ a "T" shape, IIRC approx. 24 ' on the long axis and 20' on the short(I cant find my tape measure to double check) So you will end up with a slightly larger space, and as happy as I am with mine I am sure you will be with yours. I just got the JBL monitors last year- the LSR8's, and though it's been a learning curve changing from my Tannoy Reveal passive's , I feel like this year I have gotten to the point where I have a pretty good handle on them. Presently I am using an old Yamaha sub with them but I plan to get the LSR310s-it's on my list along with a Paiste 16" Fast crash. I have an old QSC model 1400 running the Klipsch speakers in the main room and they get plenty loud enough for "big speaker" checks(loud enough you can barely hear someone playing the drums when it's turned up!). I work 30 miles from home so I have been having trouble trying get folks out here to record even just for fun, so mostly I am just doing my own stuff right now. Hopefully I will have more time down the road to round up more people to come over and play! Long way from a studio apartment, one guitar and amp, a porta 01 and a fostex mic. Or was it an EV? Well whatever it was less than 100 bucks I guarantee! Truly I haven't put a bunch of effort into getting "clients" yet, as I haven't the time. Too busy working to pay for all this stuff. But good lord I have fun!

---------- Update ----------

The free standing bass trap is only free standing if some idiot can sit (or stand) on it with his Les Paul. I think they become chairs in a lot of studios. :D

You can never have too many chairs. Or was that beers? I forget.

Oh yes! :)
Now I remember...the Christmas lights around the room.
Yeah, that's a nice space for sure.

I didn't quite get what you meant...you work 30 miles form home makes it hard for people to come to the studio..?
Is this studio in your home, and you mean there just aren't too many musicians close enough to you that you know to have over?

I'm not in any way doing my studio build for any potential clients (well, I'm the main client :D)...but when it's done, I will see how it all comes out and consider my options.
It's one thing having some friends over to cut some tracks...but when it gets to any kind of "biz" level, people have to be careful. I mean, if you just have "paying clients" who are not you friends, but just people paying you to record...all kinds of liability and insurances issues come up, not to mention whatever zoning/business rules your area has.
I know a lot of home studios walk that line and keep things in the "gray", and nothing really happens...but if something happens, if there is an accident to any client or if there is damage to any gear, or if a neighbor complains, etc...you could have a real headache.
So, if I were to go "commercial", I would want to sort out the zoning, get the proper approvals, file a DBA, and also get the additional insurance needed.
I don't know how deep I will go into all that...but I'm sure I will at some point have some musician friends over to record, no different than having some people over for a jam session or any other social/recreational event.

As a private use studio...my homeowners covers it all. As a biz, it's a different story....and bottom line, I'm not doing this for the money. My studio doesn't depend on me making money off it to cover any studio expenses. Most bigger commercial studios run on heavy loans, because it takes a big investment to outfit a high-end commercial studio.

Though to tell the truth, the main reason I wouldn't go "commercial" is because I simply don't want anyone coming over just because the would pay.
There are cool musicians...but man, there are also way too many headaches, people with unrealistic goals, and expecting you to do way more than what they are willing to pay...so it can be a headache long before the insurance/legal issues ever arise.

So ADK I've looked at a few times and I have heard good things but never heard the mics themselves. I was considering those also, along with the Miktec CV4.Sounds like you got an awesome deal there, I'm totally jelly.:) Some older pics of my setup @ let me see your studio! post #4425. I have since added the clouds and acoustic foam on the wall behind the monitors. The tracking area consists of one side of the second floor, the other side is two bedrooms, bathroom and stairway to the first floor(which turns out to be excellent for micing ambiance!). You will note that the ceiling to wall is 90 degrees in only a couple of spots so that's cool. And the drums sit under a sort of alcove that projects the sound out and down which makes for better room sound. I have one set a leeetle close to the wall so I am careful where the high hat spot mic is aimed, though there is also acoustic foam on that wall. I know foam aint the best way to go necessarily but it is really only being used for it's intended purpose-reduce high frequency slap and flutter. The room is ~ a "T" shape, IIRC approx. 24 ' on the long axis and 20' on the short(I cant find my tape measure to double check) So you will end up with a slightly larger space, and as happy as I am with mine I am sure you will be with yours. I just got the JBL monitors last year- the LSR8's, and though it's been a learning curve changing from my Tannoy Reveal passive's , I feel like this year I have gotten to the point where I have a pretty good handle on them. Presently I am using an old Yamaha sub with them but I plan to get the LSR310s-it's on my list along with a Paiste 16" Fast crash. I have an old QSC model 1400 running the Klipsch speakers in the main room and they get plenty loud enough for "big speaker" checks(loud enough you can barely hear someone playing the drums when it's turned up!). I work 30 miles from home so I have been having trouble trying get folks out here to record even just for fun, so mostly I am just doing my own stuff right now. Hopefully I will have more time down the road to round up more people to come over and play! Long way from a studio apartment, one guitar and amp, a porta 01 and a fostex mic. Or was it an EV? Well whatever it was less than 100 bucks I guarantee! Truly I haven't put a bunch of effort into getting "clients" yet, as I haven't the time. Too busy working to pay for all this stuff. But good lord I have fun!

---------- Update ----------

You can never have too many chairs. Or was that beers? I forget.

Paragraphs.

Paragraphs.

I find that the length of the paragraph is directly proportional to age and a general distain for social media and texting. The older you get, the longer your paragraphs become. At some point, you just can't hit the return key twice to break things up. So everything becomes like a Jack Kerouac novel. Eventually, you get so old that you give up on punctuation altogether. I'm almost there. In five years, I will receive Social Security and the colon keys will be removed from my computer keyboard. Then they will come for my colon. :D

I find that the length of the paragraph is directly proportional to age and a general distain for social media and texting. The older you get, the longer your paragraphs become. At some point, you just can't hit the return key twice to break things up. So everything becomes like a Jack Kerouac novel. Eventually, you get so old that you give up on punctuation altogether. I'm almost there. In five years, I will receive Social Security and the colon keys will be removed from my computer keyboard. Then they will come for my colon. :D

It was good enough for James Joyce.

I didn't quite get what you meant...you work 30 miles form home makes it hard for people to come to the studio..?
Is this studio in your home, and you mean there just aren't too many musicians close enough to you that you know to have over?

I'm not in any way doing my studio build for any potential clients (well, I'm the main client :D)...but when it's done, I will see how it all comes out and consider my options.
It's one thing having some friends over to cut some tracks...but when it gets to any kind of "biz" level, people have to be careful. I mean, if you just have "paying clients" who are not you friends, but just people paying you to record...all kinds of liability and insurances issues come up, not to mention whatever zoning/business rules your area has.
I know a lot of home studios walk that line and keep things in the "gray", and nothing really happens...but if something happens, if there is an accident to any client or if there is damage to any gear, or if a neighbor complains, etc...you could have a real headache.
So, if I were to go "commercial", I would want to sort out the zoning, get the proper approvals, file a DBA, and also get the additional insurance needed.
I don't know how deep I will go into all that...but I'm sure I will at some point have some musician friends over to record, no different than having some people over for a jam session or any other social/recreational event.

As a private use studio...my homeowners covers it all. As a biz, it's a different story....and bottom line, I'm not doing this for the money. My studio doesn't depend on me making money off it to cover any studio expenses. Most bigger commercial studios run on heavy loans, because it takes a big investment to outfit a high-end commercial studio.

Though to tell the truth, the main reason I wouldn't go "commercial" is because I simply don't want anyone coming over just because the would pay.
There are cool musicians...but man, there are also way too many headaches, people with unrealistic goals, and expecting you to do way more than what they are willing to pay...so it can be a headache long before the insurance/legal issues ever arise.

Basically every musician friend or that I know lives in town close to where I work and I moved out of town to be able to afford this damn place:rolleyes:

I feel exactly the same way about having strangers in- I've got that not liking random people messing with the equipment. But eventually I'll retire and then I will be home and be able to keep a hawks eye. So I may feel differently at that point.

Thanks for noticing the twinkle light-I felt they were necessary for the proper cheesy atmosphere. Besides they were like 59 cents a box at walgreens after Christmas.

So hopefully that's enough paragraphs for the playa haters. Prolly wont bother again though. Hey I'm a Celt, we dnt evn lk vwls. So it could be worse. I studied English very hard to be able to mangle it correctly.:D

Very wise strategy

In some states and or cities, just doing it for yourself is not enough as they will still declare you a business and stick you with regulations and taxes.

Hey I'm a Celt, we dnt evn lk vwls. So it could be worse. I studied English very hard to be able to mangle it correctly.:D

:D

I just watched "Kill the Irishman" again last night...the story of Danny Green.
He was big into the Celtic warrior stuff.
Good movie.

Yeah, I'm well "out of town" ...though here there isn't such a defining line between in/out...shit just merges, but I'm a bit farther out into what I call rural residential.
It's quiet...except for the occasional lawnmower or chainsaw from a neighbor. :)

Good movie.

Yeah, I'm well "out of town" ...though here there isn't such a defining line between in/out...shit just merges, but I'm a bit farther out into what I call rural residential.
It's quiet...except for the occasional lawnmower or chainsaw from a neighbor. :)

I get coyotes howling. Usually when they steal one of the neighbors dogs for a late evening snack.

Yeah, even in Texas I might get a raised eyebrow for that.:)

I think the bigger issue with that in Texas is that the neighbors will probably shoot back! :p

What general part of Texas are you in? Born and raised or moved there?
I know someone who just sold everything off here in NY to transplant to TX...I think somewhere south, below San Antonio. Said the house prices were so great there, and off he went.

Good movie.

Oh yeah. Best Cleveland mob movie ever. Maybe the only Cleveland mob movie, but it's the best. And it's always my go to excuse for not going to the dentist.

I think the bigger issue with that in Texas is that the neighbors will probably shoot back! :p

What general part of Texas are you in? Born and raised or moved there?
I know someone who just sold everything off here in NY to transplant to TX...I think somewhere south, below San Antonio. Said the house prices were so great there, and off he went.

Born in Chicago, raised in the Seattle suburbs, moved to Houston at 17, stayed for a couple of years, wandered around Cali and the west coast for a couple of years and finally came back to Houston~ 1985 IIRC...Too much Traveler blood I guess.

But the couple of years i spent here originally i found that 9 months of summer was irresistible to me. Now its just Home. We had some close calls as far as flooding, but Dallas has tornadoes, just about every place has the possibility of some kind of disaster so I don't second guess it anymore. Besides, it took me a couple of years of work to get my studio set up as it is now and the idea of moving again purely terrifies me.:D

The price of land is considerably less than much of the country that would be comparable as far as coastal areas especially. My older sister just retired to Florida where her daughter lives mostly because she could no longer to afford to live in the Seattle area on a fixed income (property values basically quadrupled as Microsoft and Amazon grew), but now she's just enjoying not being stuck in snow during the winter.

I have a family of around 12 turkey buzzards that live in a nature preserve a 1/4 mile or so north of me and between them and the coyotes if there were any neighbor shooting going on i doubt there would be anything but teeth left after 24 hours:eek:

I have pretty much decided I'm going to get these 2" deep gobos. The 4" deep are only 50 usd more for the pair but, i just dont think i need them that thick. And I can always get one or two later , right?

Back