Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gobos, Movable vocal "booths" have you seen/tried these or comparable?

Thanks

Gobos, Movable vocal "booths" have you seen/tried these or comparable?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Just stumbled across this website Vocal Booths and Gobos (movable acoustic panels) - GIK Acoustics and I am thinking of picking up either some gobos or movable vocal booth or some combintation. I dont have time to build my own and TBH my room sounds pretty good as is, but I just bought a really sensitive tube mic that I want to be able to get more isolation/less room sound on at times. So usually just use packing blankets, but i've got some cash and thinking about upgrading a bit. Anybody used something like this, or have any info on this company quality/value wise?
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    Just stumbled across this website Vocal Booths and Gobos (movable acoustic panels) - GIK Acoustics and I am thinking of picking up either some gobos or movable vocal booth or some combintation. I dont have time to build my own and TBH my room sounds pretty good as is, but I just bought a really sensitive tube mic that I want to be able to get more isolation/less room sound on at times. So usually just use packing blankets, but i've got some cash and thinking about upgrading a bit. Anybody used something like this, or have any info on this company quality/value wise?
    They should help. SOME.

Check reviews. Make sure they will do what you need.

I have seen some vocal booth types that looked like they would work better.

Not sure about audio gobos, only those used for video.
    If you have reflection issues then they might help a lot, or not so much.

Do you have a problem identified that you are solving? Or are you just spending money hoping it would help?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    Anybody used something like this, or have any info on this company quality/value wise?
    From everything I read, GIK has an excellent reputation. They also provide free consultation and advice. Their production time is a little slow on custom orders, but they seem fairly helpful. I wouldn't hesitate ordering from them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dwillis45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post
    Or are you just spending money hoping it would help?
    Don't answer! It's a trap.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post

It's all about the money...isn't it.

So yeah...the GIK vocal "booth" thing doesn't look all that hot, I mean, if you want to just screen off the mic from side/back noises, you could probably just use one of the smaller mic screens. I have one that I will put up in the summer months when my studio AC is going, and if/when I'm kinda facing the direction of the air vent. It's a very quiet airflow, but I just put up the screen about a foot away (I don't like to "wrap" the mic with it.

The gobos I'm curious about. They seem kinda "light" to me for gobos, but it's cool that the can fold up and go all the way down to the floor, without wheels...though most studio gobos have wheels because they tend to be pretty hefty.
    I guess it's all about the amount of isolation you want/need...

...or just because you feel like spending more money!

I was anticipating having to build some solid gobos once I get my new studio done...and I don't mind going that route. I may opt to build all the acoustic traps for the new studio...but the ready-made GIK stuff is a pretty decent way to go if you don't have the time.
    When I was building my mega bass traps...I talked to them, and for the specific size I wanted and all-around cloth covering (not just the front face)...it was going to be a lot more than me building them, and mine are probably twice as hefty as their big bass trap.

Are you planning to get some of the gobos from GIK?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post

It's all about the money...isn't it.

So yeah...the GIK vocal "booth" thing doesn't look all that hot, I mean, if you want to just screen off the mic from side/back noises, you could probably just use one of the smaller mic screens. I have one that I will put up in the summer months when my studio AC is going, and if/when I'm kinda facing the direction of the air vent. It's a very quiet airflow, but I just put up the screen about a foot away (I don't like to "wrap" the mic with it.

The gobos I'm curious about. They seem kinda "light" to me for gobos, but it's cool that the can fold up and go all the way down to the floor, without wheels...though most studio gobos have wheels because they tend to be pretty hefty.
    I guess it's all about the amount of isolation you want/need...

...or just because you feel like spending more money!

I was anticipating having to build some solid gobos once I get my new studio done...and I don't mind going that route. I may opt to build all the acoustic traps for the new studio...but the ready-made GIK stuff is a pretty decent way to go if you don't have the time.
    When I was building my mega bass traps...I talked to them, and for the specific size I wanted and all-around cloth covering (not just the front face)...it was going to be a lot more than me building them, and mine are probably twice as hefty as their big bass trap.

Are you planning to get some of the gobos from GIK?

indeed

they did not look like they would do much sound blocking

more like a dressing room divider for privacy than any sound absorbtion

Thanks
    No surprise you already came to an absolute conclusion purely from looking at the pictures...kinda the same as you do about other audio gear.

What kind of trapping and gobos do you use...or do you just hang a blanket because you think it's just as good?

Thanks
    I have my doubts about vocal isolation in general, especially the foam ones that wrap around a mic stand. From the "tests" I've seem on YouthLube, they don't have much impact. And, in some cases, seem to make matters worse.

On the other hand, it's hard to believe that GIK would be pulling a fast one here. They seem to be dedicated to testing new materials and designs and developing exacting products for specific professional needs. I guess the question is do you really need something this specific? Does it really solve an important issue? Is your live room too lively or not working for vocals? And do you need the opposite side to provide a mix of absorption and reflection? Does that make a major difference, because it looks like you're paying for the veneer with CNC holes. :d

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    No surprise you already came to an absolute conclusion purely from looking at the pictures...kinda the same as you do about other audio gear.

What kind of trapping and gobos do you use...or do you just hang a blanket because you think it's just as good?

You keep proving that you are basically a bully with such comments.

You still need to prove your claims that your choice in gear is the best there is and everything else is crap.

I dont need more than pictures when I have seen/heard what such things do or rather do not do.

Thread Information