Getting started!

simon96

Hi, I'm just getting started in this whole new home recording world and I'm already full of doubts even before starting doing it seriously.
I was wondering if it could be possible to have a home studio (of course nothing really "professional", just for fun but still good enough to be called so) in a bedroom still using it to sleep: I mean, i would maintain in that room my bed, my wardrobe and the library..
Could it be possible or I need a room completely dedicated to home recording?

P.S. Sorry for the english but I'm Italian! ^^"

Yes you can have a pretty solid setup even professional setup up at home. No, you do not need a room completely dedicated to recording.
What are you wanting to record simon and how much are you willing to spend what is your budget?

Well, I would like to put up a very entry level studio, I want to be sure before spending money. For now, I would just need it for personal use or maybe to share my songs with friends or maybe to record a cover to upload on YT. Nothing too serious, for now.

I read of the possibility of improving the acoustic of my room by putting the amplifier in the wardrobe while recording guitar, is it something stupid or it really works? ahah

@supercolio
thank you for the link :)

No problem.

Why on earth you'd put the amp in the wardrobe : D That doesn't improve acoustics. Unless it's a combo amp, put the speaker cabinet there... ;) I think that statement means you want to have a smaller/closed space to record what's coming from the speaker. I've been wondering the same thing. Worth a try imo :P

Really depends on the genre/room required. I do hip hop...don't need much, although I'd like more and would like a room dedicated to it, or at least partially dedicated to it, if I had the room.

Well, I'd like to record mostly electric and acoustic guitars with the microphone. What I would like to know is where to place it in the room.. in the corner? Maybe in the wardrobe as suggested before? ahah

As for mic for acoustic guitar would be the Rode NT2-A if you on a lower budget the NT1-A could still do the trick. The 2-A can also do well on the electric guitar as well but im sure there are better options for the electric guitar.

Another question: do you think something like this could be a valid alternative before modifying my room?

B_VICOUSTIC_flexiscreenlite.jpg

Mic shields like those are typically used for vocals and aren't immensely helpful compared to acoustic treatment. A 2'x4' panel placed behind the mic would give a larger benefit and could be used in a wider array of recordings.

How much should a panel cost? Would it be ok to place it on the door? I can't modify any wall because they're all full of furniture..

How much should a panel cost? Would it be ok to place it on the door? I can't modify any wall because they're all full of furniture..

You can check out our prices to see what we believe panels should cost. Yes, they can be hung on a door. Alternately, you can use stands for them.

The ceiling is also a viable place to treat!

ehhh mic shields are ok things is after you record you gotta mix. dont think they have monitor shields out yet!!??... Ugghh just go with acoustic treatments and shield the whole room

by the way GIK don't go trying to steal my monitor shield idea neither I'm gonna patent that myself :D

Back