Getting Clients

notredamer0789

Nashville Rocker
Hi there everyone, I have been recording, editing, mixing, blah blah for several years now and we (my friend and I) have thought about the idea of finally opening up a legit studio just outside of my town. We have a great location that actually already was a studio, so we have little to no work to do (btw I prbly should post some pics). My question is (to all who have legit studios that bring in money) how do you get bands, people, clients in the door? We have been putting ads in a local classified and telling friends and posting things on like Craigslist, but we get little response. Just wondering :)

Thanks guys!

Cory:D

I'm not a pro, but I think the best thing you could do would be to make a few excellent records and to be the best you can in every way you can.

Most of my clients are from word of mouth. A few have found me with google via my website, thats enough to keep me busy all year long.

We have been putting ads in a local classified and telling friends and posting things on like Craigslist, but we get little response.

It's a declining market, in a terrible economy - should be easy to start up a studio.... :D

My two cents - I can't see anyone starting a studio to make a profit in this climate. Damn near impossible. Best thing to do is freelance out of existing studios until you have a huge client base, then just continue free lancing. :D (the good news is, you can get great studios for SUPER cheap these days)

Keep it in your house if you can. Not paying rent and having added expenses is key because if you have a slow period, it's not the end of the world. Also having an awesome wife to let you keep gear everywhere is nice too...

the fact that the studio that was once there and didnt make it should tell you something.....

There are many other reasons, besides location, why a business can fail. Inept management and lack of vision are probably the biggest. Then location!!!

To the OP: Just like any other business, you should have a business plan and part of that is market research and whether you can get clients in the door. How many are looking for your services in your area and who your competitors are... I find it a little ironic that your biggest competitor are going to be people who come to sites like Homerecording.com. :D

I have no experience in starting up a studio business, but I'm willing to bet the successful start-up has to be able to do everything. Advertising jingles, voiceover, video soundtracks, as well as recording the local bands. You should be talking with other businesses who needs this stuff.

Good luck.

Back